Converting a home touch activated switch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sp4rk

First of all, hello there everyone, I'm new to the site and pretty much to custom electronics but I learn quickly and right now I'm in need of a bit of help. My question is probably quite easily answered with "you could just build one yourself" lol, but I want to use a unit I have seen due to its design and I want to know if and how to convert a standard touch activated (Metal panel) home lighting switch so that it can be powered from a 12v supply?

Hi Sp4rk,

you might use an LM2907, a touch sensitive IC to connect to a touch plate and use a flip-flop to switch on/off the device you intend to use.

Here is a circuit which I have designed without prove of proper function yet.

It should work anyway, even inverted (off instead of on).

The design was meant to be used in my house to switch on and off lights from different locations (like hallway light from different rooms).

The circuit uses two blue LEDs for orientation purposes at night being switched off if the main light source is enabled.

The PCB dimensions should fit into a US standard wall outlet box of 3.44375X2.1587inches.

Please note that a switching relay is required at pin5 (TOGGLE) connector, contained in the mains distributor cabinet.

Regards

Boncuk

Attachments

• TOUCHSWITCH-SCH.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 227
  • TOUCHSWITCH-BRD.gif
    25.8 KB · Views: 183
  • TOUCHSWITCH-FILL.gif
    27.2 KB · Views: 188

Thanks for the reply, but I think I didnt expain myself properly, really sorry for that. Ok, so... I have a wall mounted light switch that I bought a while back because I liked the design of the Metal touch plate. Now I want to use the switch inside a home appliance that has an output of 12 volts, I wanted to know how to convert the mains powered wall switch to be able to work from a 12 volt source.

I will try to make this simpler. Nobody can guess how to convert a 120 volt switching chip to 12 volts without knowing which chip it is. Even if they do know which chip it is, it might still not be possible. The next best thing is to steer you to a chip that will work on 12 volts. Boncuk did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…