Converting an AT&T Belkin UPS to a UPS for small Dell PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcstealth

I have an extra Belkin UPS left over from AT&T that powered the gateway. I would like to modify the Belkin UPS to power my small Dell PC instead. Hopefully, in the event of a temporary power outage, the Dell would stay on.

Currently the Belkin UPS has a hard wired small round power jack out, which is regulated to 12v, 2.2 A max.

My Dell PC consumes 115/230 V 1.5/0.75 Amps, and takes a standard AC plug.

Does anyone know if this UPS sounds like it has enough power to keep the Dell running, and about for how long?

I understand that a standard AC cable would have to be wired into the UPS that would plug into the Dell PC.

What other parts would I have to replace inside the UPS...transformer, resistors?

I've never modified a circuit board before, so I'm new to this, and not sure how hard it would be to remove old parts.

Does this sound like something that could be accomplished or not?

Thanks!

You would need an inverter, 12 volt DC to 115 volt AC. These are used for automotive stuff. How long it would last depends on the the battery size in the UPS, how much power the Lap top uses, and the efficacy of the inverter. Is it worth it probley not, The battery is probably to small. The gate way used vary little power and the inverter and laptop will need much more. Andy

Well I do have several "auto" power inverters laying around, and also this UPS. So if I can use these parts and not have to worry about my Dell PC shutting down every time the power cuts out for a minute or two (which is pretty often with construction going on around here) then it would be worth it.

So could I just cut the plug off the current UPS cable (intended to go to a gateway)? Then splice the negative and positive wires from the inverter (intended to be connected to car battery) to the UPS? Plug the computer into the AC output of the converter. Plug the AC UPS into the wall. Turn everything on....and the computer should be getting the right power from the wall? Then if I yank the power from the wall, the computer would get it's power for a limited amount of time using the UPS battery?

That seems too easy. Seems like something is missing. I'll wait for some more responses and give it a try.

The battery in the unit is 12v 28w

Thanks

Last edited:
OK, before this gets too confusing let me venture a guess that this is what you have. That is a simple battery backup that when mains power drops off line it continues to provide 12 volt DC power to a gateway system. The maximum power out is 12 volts 30 watts or 12 volts at 2.5 amps DC. The internal battery is a 12 volt 7.2 amp hour battery.

Now enter the problem(s). The unit you have was not designed to power an inverter to convert 12 volts DC to 120 volts AC 50/60 Hertz. Typical US line mains power. Note that you have a 7.2 amp hour battery but the device limits output current to 2.5 amps (maximum). Lets say your computer draws 240 watts (very conservative guess) at 120 VAC. That would be about 2 amps so you are pushing what you have available. You would do as well to just run the inverter off the battery with a power supply driving the battery to keep it charged. Sort of spinning wheels here. Not to mention a 300 watt inverter is pretty small.

Your best bet would be to invest in a standard UPS based on your system requirements including the monitor and any accessories, starting with determining your true power needs for those pesky brown or black outs. Inverters also generate considerable heat and that heat is lost power so you need some overhead.

Personally I would not try what you are planning as bad things might happen.

Just My Take
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…