Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting Monitor RGB to TV composite using PIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNobody

Hey guys.. Is it possible to create a device that convert RGB signal to TV composite signal using PIC..? I know that there are video cards that have S-Video output.. If it is possible then can somebody point me to the that direction..? Thanks..

Oh.. by the way, that is not a college project.. It is some sort like a hobby project, to learn more about RGB signal and compisite signals..

Thank for the help..

It's called a colour encoder, every home computer used to have one, as do digital satellite receivers and DVD players.

What would be easiest is a Commodore Amiga modulator, as it included an encoder as well, took RGB+Sync in, and outputed composite and RF.

Can't do it with a PIC, although a fast DSP is probably what's used nowadays?.

Thanks for the reply..
Ok.. If I use a DSP instead, how would I go about doing it..?
What is the concept of how it works..?

Things that I need to do are:
Understand how RGB works and learn how to interpret it.
Understand how composite signal works and learn how to generate it.
Interprete RGB signal and generate composite signal.

Are there any more things i need to add to the "to do" list..?
Oh.. by the way, if possible, i hope to make the colour quality as close to the one i get when I connect a TV to the s-video port (through s-video to composite converter) of the video card.

Are there any pit falls or any tough part that i need to pay more attention to..?
Anybody done this before and know of any good resources..?
Thanks..

Ps.. i know nothing about RGB signal and composite signal..

Start off with a monochrome signal, RGB is simply three monochrome signals, one for each colour - composite is a an encoded form of RGB, essentially a B&W high resolution image (so it's compatible with B&W TV), with a very low resolution colour image smeared on top.

Think of a nice high quality B&W drawing, then give it to your kids along with some wax crayons, and allow them to crayon over the image - that's what a composite image is like.

But start with B&W first, it all stems from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back