Converting Normal pc cd rom drive to dvd drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
litto43ph said:
Guys,

I found this on other website, have a look....

It sounds a complete load of rubbish! - not to mention a waste of time!, with the low price of DVD drives. The width of the beam is set by the lasers manufacture, NOT by an adjustment - and dropping the 12V to the drive to 'slow it down', what a load of rubbish! :lol:

Physically impossible to make a DVD drive out of CD components.

Reminds me of a story awhle back where there was a special FREE driver/firmware update that could convert your old CD drive into a DVD.

Doesn't take a genius to figure out the program was a virus. Makes me wonder how many people were taken in by that.

You know, even more fun, you can adjust a microwave oven to instantly freeze things instead of heat them. You just have to open up the case and back off this one screw. For legal reasons the mfgs don't put in this setting, it's due to the frozen food lobbyists keeping this technology down.

As you didn't add a 'smiley', some people will probably believe it! 8)

Having some people believe it is ALL the fun!

Actually that one was a feature in Popular Electronics, April edition, back when I was in high school. They called it "Build Your Own Macrowave". There was a note that since it removed heat energy from the food, it could be made to generate electrical power rather than consume it. Inspiring the thought "they don't realize I could power my house from that and make free energy for the world by just running a water water pipe through it!", without actually suggesting it, was quite effective.

The parts list was hilarious. It listed starting with a junked microwave oven, then the parts list goes through 100k resistor, 0.05uF 50V film capacitor, $4,553 macrowave converter, 5 amp AC fuse, red LED, etc. Say, what was that middle item again?

Someone Electro said:
I didnt know its posible
you cant.

• 1. CD Lasers run at 780 nm (infrared), DVDs run at 650 and 635 nm (red).
    2. Track Pitch. CD, 1.6 microns, DVD, 0.74 microns. (this is a function of the wavelenth, i.e. how close can you place each track before the laser sees 2 tracks at once)
    3. Shortest Pit Length CD, 0.83 microns, DVD, 0.4 microns. (another fuction of wavelength)
    4. Data Layers CD, 1, DVD, 2.
    5. Data Sides CD, 1, DVD, 2.
    6. Data Rate CD 1.4 Mbits/sec, DVD 10.0 Mbits/sec
Track Diferences

Layer Diferences

All data and images pulled from **broken link removed**

Attachments

• finrepx420.gif
    37 KB · Views: 676
  • finrepx421.gif
    41.4 KB · Views: 605
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…