Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cooperation in workplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

A new guy has arrived to our company and I'm to teach him the things I specialize in.
I found that it's hard for me to pass my knowledge.
Did you experience such things?
Any tips are welcome.

I have found that when teaching someone... You say "Did you understand that?".. They ALWAYS reply "Yes!!", when they blatantly mean No!!!

They do not want to appear... Thick... Slow...

Sometimes you need to go back another level.... pretend your telling a 2 year old...

I have found that making someone actually do it and do it correctly after explaining it is the best way to teach otherwise you are mostly just talking to yourself while someone else watches you.

I have found that making someone actually do it and do it correctly after explaining it is the best way to teach otherwise you are mostly just talking to yourself while someone else watches you.

True. It also forces me to slow me down and actually teach. I've been told that I type very fast and it is difficult for people to keep up when I'm showing them a process. I have to force myself off the chair and say "here... you drive". There is one particular person on my team who makes me feel like this dilbert cartoon when they type. It's like time stands still.

**broken link removed**

There is one particular person on my team who makes me feel like this dilbert cartoon when they type. It's like time stands still.

I have had far too many coworkers and managers who fit into that description as well. :p

I see you have tried helping my wife do a google search too. :rolleyes:

Her other thing is to use her 17" laptop and touch pad, perish the thought of ever using her wireless optical mouse that works on every surface, and heaven forbid if she ever uses our main computer with dual 32" monitors wireless keyboard and mouse with the 4 way scrolling wheel.:p

Last edited:
The guy types with his two index fingers and STILL doesn't know where the keys are. "let's see... I need to look something up.... browser is.... is.... okay... w...w...w... g...o....(long delay, two 'o's in google?)". Seriously it takes almost 5 minutes to search for something. Good thing he's such a nice guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3KUEkxkbKc

A new guy has arrived to our company and I'm to teach him the things I specialize in.
I found that it's hard for me to pass my knowledge.
Did you experience such things?
Any tips are welcome.

Are you leaving the job? Have you been promoted to a new position already (and you have it in writing)? If not - you might be training your replacement...

I've never had to do this before. At my last job, I up and quit one fine day at the end of October (didn't even give 2 weeks, that's how frustrated I was with the place), and had a new job (at a competitor, with more pay, and real benefits - my last job they were having trouble paying me, and had dropped my healthcare benefits for over a year while I was patient with them to get things back in shape - I'm still owed over a month in backpay, including my last week I was there!) in less than a week (web application software development).

I took my knowledge and left. Only 45 days or so until my 90 day probationary period is up (and I can finally get health coverage - say what you will about our President's healthcare initiative, but I certainly wish it was here already - TBH, I wish we would get our act together as a first-world country and act more like Europe when it comes to healthcare)...

At other places, I either did the same or was laid off, and they never asked me to train someone else. Maybe they thought I was replaceable. Aat one place I worked, I developed an in-house CRM and ticketing system - I was the only programmer on the project, nobody else was trained on how it worked development-wise; I was laid off due to what I later learned was the sale of the company - I looked bad for the "bottom line" because all of my salary was going to the development of this in-house system that wasn't re-sold, even though it probably saved the company a ton of money and time. Anyhow, they told me when I left that they were looking into a replacement for the system. Six years later I went back and talked to my old supervisor in order to pick up a package delivered there (inadvertently by Parallax; they had it as an old delivery address); I asked him if they were still using the system. He told me "yes", and that all he had been able to do was minor "bug fixes", but that he didn't understand it enough to make any major changes, and that they hadn't found a replacement system that could do everything anywhere close to what it could. That was in 2008, and I suspect they are still using it.

I'm not sure what the moral of this story is or anything, other than make sure you're not setting yourself up to be laid off (unless you don't care - when I quit my last job, after talking with my wife about it - I was a wreck, to be honest - I thought I had made a big mistake, but I "instantly" got hired again, so my skills must be worth something to someone (and I have to thank my wife and the help/advice from a couple of recruiters I worked with, who, even though didn't recruit me for this new job - I found it via Craigslist - honestly were there to help keep my spirits up)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back