Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Coreless

Status
Not open for further replies.

bristol188

Hi all. Can some one please explain what is meant by "core-less" as in small elc. motors.
I understand brushed, brushless, inrunner and outrunner.
Thanks

Usually the motor coils are wound on a laminated metal core - a coreless motor has no core at all. As far as I know this means it's less powerful, but has much lower inertia, so can speed up and slow down faster. The ones I've seen had the coils wound as a tube, and held together by varnish or some thing similar - although I can't remember what the motor was out of now? - it 'may' have been a VCR motor?.

As I understand it, it means a motor that has no "metal base" for the windings. This removes the inertia of the metal mass allowing the motor to reach higher speeds faster, and stop faster.

Sometimes coreless refers to motors without shafts, that look like an axel bearing. The hollow core allows the motor to be installed onto any shaft or object that needs to be rotated.

Yes thanks for that I can see the dif. and why used in sub micro servos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back