Correctly Earthing a Metal Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voltz

Hi, I wanted to know the correct procedure for main earthing an electronics project built in a metal case, I live in the UK with the standard 3 pin wire configuration for live, neutral and earth and wanted to know how do I earth a metal enclosure to prevent a lethal fault? Also could someone please explain the difference between the different kinds of ground, that is - chassis ground, floating ground, mains ground etc... I know I should probably google the terms but people on this forum seem to have a kill for explaining the minutia of topics in a painless way. Thanks

As far as I know...as long as you are using a metal case/ing take a secure wire from the case/ing to Ground as in Earth as in Soil. Like a garden.

Older copper water pipes were normally good enough. These days I am not sure anymore.

Very little Copper around these days. Plastic rules unfortunately And that is no good. As we all know, Plastic insulates.....

Out of my depth here.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
when i worked in the custom test equipment industry, one of the things required for various safety compliance rules was that when wiring the primary side (i.e. line/mains voltage), the cord would be strain relieved with a heyco bushing, and where the hot and neutral were wired would have service loops of about an inch diameter. the ground wire would have a 3 inch service loop, and would be connected to the chassis with a ring lug (crimped and soldered, not just crimped) with the ring lug connection near the entry point of the cable. this was important for safety reasons, such as, if the power cord got snagged on something that could pull it out, the hot and neutral wires would break loose first, and the ground wire would remain connected to the chassis for a longer time than the other two, if the hot wire happened to short against the chassis, it would short direct to the ground (while it's still grounded). this would prevent the chassis from becoming a shock hazard.

Hi unclejed

Not a TV Fault....a Earthing question with Mains....

Hence my "Out of my depth here" reply.

Hey, I will learn from this thread too if people contribute.

All the best unclejed

tvtech

Last edited:
I wanted to know the correct procedure for main earthing an electronics project built in a metal case, I live in the UK
Basically what Uncle Jed said.

An alternative would be to use an IEC socket and then the mains cable can be removed from the equipment. That is sometimes a useful feature.
Also the IEC socket could incorporate a filter to keep noise from entering the cabinet.

Any detachable panels on the cabinet/enclosure should be bonded to the earth connection with wire of the same cross section as the mains cable.

could someone please explain the difference between the different kinds of ground, that is - chassis ground, floating ground, mains ground etc
A bit of a minefield here with lots of confusing terminology.
I shall use some words which are familiar to me.

Earth - UK terminology
Ground - USA terminology
Both mean the same thing.

Safety Earth.
The standard yellow/green (UK) wire in the mains cable.
It is there for your safety, hence the name.
It should be connected to the chassis of the mains powered equipment, and so the documentation for the equipment may refer to mains earth or chassis earth.

Floating ground, 0Volt ground.
Sometimes in an equipment, the common connection of the power supplies, the 0 volt lines are not connected to the chassis.
This would be a floating 0v earth. All the internal signal would be connected to this 0v line, it would be their local common "ground", but it would not be connected to "Earth" ie the planet.

Some years ago, I worked on an offshore oil production platform.
The system which I was responsible for had four earth bars in the bottom of each cabinet, and they all had to be isolated from each other.

Safety Earth - connects all the cabinet metalwork together.
0v Earth - the reference connection for all the 5v, 12v and 24v DC power supplies in the cabinet.
Instrument Earth - an earth connection for all the screen of the cables going out from the cabinets to the instruments on the process.
I.S. Earth - a earth connection for all the Intrinsic Safety barriers. (Fitted to prevent hazardous voltages feeding out from the cabinet to areas where there may be explosive atmospheres)

Each of these four earth bars in each equipment cabinet were then connected by two cables to common earth bars for the module. ( The module was major chunk of the platform. there were something like seven modules to make up the platform).
Then the module earth bars were each connected by two cables to a common point on the Jacket. (The jacket is the steel structure which sits on the sea bed and holds everything up above the waves).

All in all a nightmare, which lead to some ridiculous steps having to be taken to ensure the isolation between earth bars was maintained.

So, there are more terms for earthing/grounding and weird and wonderfull schemes dreamed up by engineers with bees in their bonnets, than you can shake a stick at!

JimB

You see, I knew I would learn here

Many thanks Jim and if I may +1 for you.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:

Very good shout, thank you for that insight, it's the kind of thing once you learn, you learn to always do
And thank you JimB also for your clear explanation

An example of a floating ground.
A mains-operated digital multimeter which is designed to have no connection to earth by either of the input leads must have the input circuitry (ACV to DCV converter, ohms to DCV converter, DCA and ACA to DCV converter) isolated from the mains so that touching either the COMMON, V/ohm or the AMPS lead(s) to the circuit under test will not cause a horrid injection of the mains power into the circuit or upset the circuit under test in any way.

Another example would be a medical patient monitor. At no time do you want any possibility of a patient coming into contact with a dangerous or uncontrolled current at any time. Many methods of isolating the patient from the mains (optical, magnetic, etc.) are used to provide this isolation. In addition, power must me provided to the input signal conditioning circuitry which is connected directly to the patient, isolated from the mains in the same way. Siemens in one instance uses plugins for bedside patient monitoring systems. These plugins have absolutely no electrical connection to the mainframe whatsoever. Power is supplied through a primary current coil to the secondary current coil of a transformer in the plugin. Data is exchanged to and from the plugin via optical interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…