Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cpacitor Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronman

Hello,

My professor told me that a capacitor has just 3 functions in electronics, here they are:
1: charge- discharge,
2: Impedance
3: Shorted
Is that just right? Any more functions for a cap in a circuit?lol

1: charge- discharge,
All of the (ideal) capacitor's traits are to do with charge.

2: Impedance
It exhibits that, yes.

3: Shorted
I don't know how 'shorted' is a function.

Is that just right? Any more functions for a cap in a circuit?
You can use them for isolation / level-shifting / ac-coupling

unexpected outburst?

A capacitor has many functions in a circuit, depending on the components connected to it. I can think of over 40 different "functions" or "effects" or "results" that can be produced by connecting a capacitor to other components. And there are many more.
The three terms you mentioned are "characteristics" or "features" - with the third one being the result of a capacitor FAILING.
The term IMPEDANCE refers to how a COIL reacts to the flow of current.
The term REACTANCE is used for capacitors.
It is generally written: CAPACITIVE REACTANCE.

The term IMPEDANCE refers to how a COIL reacts to the flow of current.
The term REACTANCE is used for capacitors.
It is generally written: CAPACITIVE REACTANCE.
Can you name what the letters X & Z are standing for?:
XC = 1/(wC)
ZL = wL
ZC = 1/(jwC)
ZL = jwL

Hint: Impedance is the complex form combining the resistive (real) and reactive (imaginary) characteristics of some element. The impedance of resistors have no reactive part (solely resistive), whereas capacitors and inductors have only a reactive part (no resistive). [ideal of course].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back