Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cpu coolers: A hoax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Hi
folks i have come across this new item on net known CPU coolers eg INTEL CPU cooler.Do this devices actually cool or give out chilled air like an AC?
Or this is just one of the marketing puffs on the internet.I want to buy one for my old pentium 4 .Has anyone used a CPU cooler and achieved satisfactory results or this is all a Hoax?
How many volts does a CPU cooler use?Which is more effective:water /heat sink/copper coil oriented CPU cooler?

Last edited:
How about a link?

Ron

I'm using a liquid (sealed) cooling system for my duo-core 2.93GHz CPU. It never gets too hot even at an ambient temperature of 40C.

On the other hand the 800MHz DDRII-RAMs quit at 35C. :)

Boncuk

Obviously you don't just mean a normal heatsink? If you do, then try running your computer without it and see if it's a hoax ;)

The only other type I can think of (aside from water cooling and such) is the peltier type. If that's it, then they may cool your CPU better than a normal cooler, at the expense of higher case temperatures (the peltier produces its own heat as well).

The only other type I can think of (aside from water cooling and such) is the peltier type. If that's it, then they may cool your CPU better than a normal cooler, at the expense of higher case temperatures (the peltier produces its own heat as well).

+ it produces condensed water, something you might not want in a PC.

Absolutely! But only if the peltier or chip has exposed areas at lower than ambient temperature.

Probably with a hot CPU even the cold side of the peltier would be above room temp, but it would be extracting more heat from the CPU than a traditional heatsink which would be far above room temp.

Absolutely! But only if the peltier or chip has exposed areas at lower than ambient temperature.

That was the case here with my wireless modem.

I kept the cold side of the peltier at a constant temperature of 25C.

The modem worked fine until the USB receptacle was flooded at an ambient temperature of 46C. :D

Hmm I'm guessing that where you are in Thailand probably has very high humidity too like happens here in north-east Australia. :)

On occasion its get so humid here I see water condensing on the outside of the fridge door!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back