Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crimping tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

On rare occasions I want to crimp things, and I'd quite like a better crimping tool than the multi-purpose one I have. Probably with a proper tool I'd use crimp terminals more. The tools seem to be horrendously expensive, but I found these: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/330320?spm=2114.12010108.100004.2.v7tPFo which are very cheap, but people who've bought them seem happy, from the comments.
Manufacturer's site: **broken link removed**
There is a bewildering array of jaws and quite a few handles to choose from - the manufacturers catalogue doesn't really give any useful information to discriminate between handles apart from length.
I was originally only interested in getting a tool to fit open barrel or F-crimp terminals but there's a whole load of other jaws I can choose as well if I get one of the sets shown on the site. Any thoughts what other jaws would be useful to a hobbyist?

They are closed to mid February.

I have a couple of takes.

I have an AMP tool that works really well for the small terminals like the DA,DB and DC pins

For even smaller pins like for some JST connectors, you need even a smaller set, These were the hardest to work with.I did use an expensive BERG crimper at one time for square pins.

I do recommend the ratcheting crimpers for wire terminas like (rings, forks etc). Cheap seems to work fine.

I bought one and I had to use "valve grinding compound" to remove the friction. It doesn't matter if it's cheap or not.
The method worked well.

In general, I don't like HEX crimps anymore. For BNC's I'd much rater the hard way/

I would suggest that you TOTALLY ABANDON hex F connectors. The better ones are made by Gilbert. I'd advise you to change to compression.

For network connections switch to the EZRJ45 connectors. https://www.platinumtools.com/products/connectors/ez-rj45-cat5-5e-connectors-100003/

For modular Telco connectors like silver satin use a connector with the built in cutters. I have one made of all plastic that works fine. I don;t do many of them.

A couple of final comments:

F
There's RG6, RG6 Quad and RG6QS/RG6 combo connectors, RG59 and weatherproof versions.
So, you do need a bunch.

The wire/insulation crimpers
I like the AMP tool because it does both.

Modular
There are solid conductor, stranded conductor and both versions of the connectors. If you use the wrong one, you may set yourself up for failure. You can somewhat tell by examining the crimp mechanism. The EZ system is by far the. I'll use the no-snag boots if available. The EZ system is available for telco and network connections.

Always test by pulling.

TV and network cables are best stripped with the proper strippers.

Quite a lot to digest there, KISS - going to take me a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back