Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

crossover disturtion in Op Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

froten

Hello all,

I would like to understand an issue with the Op Amps. The inverting and non-inverting inputs of many of the Op Amp circuits like the summing circuit of the 741 Op Amp are not biased. Is there a crossover disturtion in the out put of the circuit? How can it be corrected if any? If not, how the crossoverdisturtion was eleminated ? when I design a signal amplifier using Op Amp, do I have to consider the biasing and crossover disturtion?

thank you very much for any help.

Most opamps have their output transistors biased into class-AB so the crossover distortion is very low.

Except the LM358 dual and LM324 quad opamps are low power so they use not enough bias current in their output transistors. They operate in class-B. When they have 100% negative feedback their crossover distortion is reduced to "only" 3%. They recommend a load resistor to one supply voltage so that one output transistor operates in class-A for no crossover distortion.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Pick the correct opamp for the job (don't even consider the antique 741), and you don't have anything to worry about.

Nigel, that's always a good advice (right tool for the job) but for us digital people (I'm sw developer, and as for the hw, I understand zeros and ones pretty good, everything other then 0/1 is big problem) maybe you can give some pointers in "how to pick the correct op-amp for the job" by pointing us to the right thread or some external link ..

The big factors:

Single supply or dual supply?

What's the allowable voltage supply range? (0-12, -18/+18, etc).

How many op-amps in the package? (1,2 or 4)

Rail-to-Rail on the Input? Output? Is it needed?

How much current can it drive? Some can only do 10ma, others can do >100ma.

Quiescent current draw - do you need it to be low power consumption?

Gain Bandwidth Product (Is it fast enough? 1-10MHz at unity gain is typical).

Is it compensated or not? (essentially means - is it stable at near unity gains?) If uncompensated, you usually have to use a gain of 5 or more.

FET or Bipolar input type - FET inputs have extremely low input bias current. Bipolars have higher input bias current. Each type has advantages and disadvantages, but you are safer just picking a FET type.

There are lots of others. These are just some real basic criteria.

ETA: You should *never* have to worry about biasing a modern op amp. Anything from the mid 80's on should be fine.

Last edited:
ericgibbs said:

Risking the drift into off-topic, I hope the OP will not mind and that mod's will intervene if needed, thing is, whoever did the "real" electronics use op-amps as easily as resistors or capacitors, for "0|1" people like me, op-amps are "difficult" to select, I use one op-amp in 99% cases (TL072) and that is only because I can get it in local store, saw it working somewhere, tried it, it worked. Now, I do this for fun, not for bread&butter so for me it really does not matter if the part is 1$ od 10$ .. if it could be smaller or more efficient, but, I would like to look at the page stating something like: "there are xyz important properties of op-amp, they are explained like this, op-amps are mostly grouped by this set of properties, these ones are best to use here and here, those ones are best for use in this and that type of circuitry etc... typical representative of this group is xyz###, typical representative of that gropu is xxy###..."... I was googling for it :( but no luck :(

Anyhow, I do not have a big range of op-amps available in local stores so for those I can find I mostly know what is to know (they are all ooooooold and data sheet's are available everywhere) .. but if anyone know a page like the one I just described I will be joj.

hi arhi,
Perhaps this may be more useful::)

**broken link removed**

Goto to this link and download AN31 application note.

arhi said:
now, that's what I needed, THANKS. :D
/me jumping out of joy

hi,
This is also a useful pdf.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back