Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cruise Control / Governor PIC based

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnb80

Hi,
I have spent many years programming PIC's to do all sorts of things, I haven't written any programs in the last 4 years though and I feel somewhat rusty. I have a requirement to control the speed of a petrol engine with varying load, it's a single cylinder Briggs and Stratton engine and here are my thoughts so far:-
The input is to be a hall effect device getting one pulse per rev.
The output is to be a model servo which uses 1 mSec pulse for zero travel, 2 m/Sec for full travel, 1.5m/Sec for mid travel etc.
The setpoint is to be a potentiometer.
The overspeed limit is to be 4000 rpm and it must kill the ignition and require a restart.

Has anyone written code for such a device? an automotive cruise control would be a very similar application. If no-one has, I'll get coding and leave the details here for anyone thats interested, PI control would be the preferred method but any crude control would do at the moment.

Thanks,
Kind Regards - John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back