Current comporator

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamadiss

Hello. If any knows a circuit for "current comporator" with operational amplifier like LM311. Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
The LM 311 is a voltage comparator. If you want to do current comparrisons you need to convert the currents you have to voltages. What exactly are you trying to do? How much current? AC current or DC current? You haven't provided any information for anyone to work with. I assume you have read the LM 311 data sheet?

Ron

OK, so you want to trigger a buzzer when a current exceeds 10 mA? That correct? Can you post a drawing of the circuit you want to monitor?

Ron

The circuit you posted won't do anything? You have a 9 Volt supply to a 10 Ohm resistor and the current will be .9 Amp through the resistor? Assuming the source of the voltage can deliver an amp or so the non-inverting input of the operational amplifier will remain at 9 volts? Additionally RL would need to be about a 10 watt resistor. Things don't quite make any sense.

Ron

The resistor of 10ohm i put it to so the max current who may be i have. The circuit really there didn't anything but i post it to show what kind of circuit i want to found. Thanks for answers.

Use Ohm's law, much more than 10mA will flow through the 10R resistor.

Your circuit doesn't make any sense, how do you want to measure the current?

OK, first I suggest you give this a read.

If we want to measure and sense a high current (several amps) a simple current shunt can be used. However, if we want to measure small currents like a few mA we have several ways to go about it. We can use a shunt or sense resistor of a very low value (sub 1 Ohm) but we then need to amplify the voltage drop across our sense resistor. You will see that illustrated in the link. Your initial post reflected 10 mA and your example reflected 900 mA.

Ron

I think he tried to explain that in his schematic, he omitted the load that he wants to monitor, but it would be between the 9V supply and the 10 ohm resistor. If this is the case, he's on the right track.
Diamadiss, what is the maximum current that will pass through the 10 ohm sense resistor?

Well, you need a voltage referance to compare the voltage across the sense resistor with.

The voltage on the sense resistor will be 100mV when the current through it is 10mA so you need a 100mV reference.

Unfortunately you can't buy 100mV references so you'll need to use a higher voltage reference with a potential divider to get 100mV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…