Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current Limiting, High Efficiency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxsick

Hello,

I am using a Meanwell Power Supply to feed Power Into my Batteries, for my inverter for when there is no sun. (It's a 27V unit rated 350Watts)
I have rotated the POT to output 23.6v

so the unit will not send power above 23.6v, but under, you can imagine it will feed whatever is being used...

the problem is, when the batteries volt gets too low, the meanwell Power goes more then my desired Feed Back.. sometimes seeing 600watts at the input..

I wish to limit the current to 12A or thereabouts.

any ideas of a simple product can do this? on the cheap.

I looked at this.. transzorb 12A but something tells me Not for what I need.
**broken link removed**

thanks guys..
Shaun

Generally current limiting is high efficiency when it is done by the SMPS controller, so if your "Meanwell Power Supply" is a SMPS type then it will reduce PWM duty to limit current and you will get good efficiency. If that is the case all you need to do is change the current sense resistor in the power supply so the current limiting comes on at 12A.

If you power supply is an analog (heavy transformer) type then you need to add a SMPS buck stage after the power supply to get efficient current limiting.

It may just be easier to buy a new SMPS power supply that has limiting at 12A. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back