Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current Mode DC-DC Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclocked

Is A Current Mode SMPS The same thing as a Constant Current Mode Linear Regulator? Ie, Does it provide a constant current no matter what the load requires as a output voltage?

Try to read the current mode pwm article or datasheet of say MC3842 Chip
hope you appeciate than some one telling his/her opinion abt it.
perhaps google or wikipedia is the best source.

MC3842 datasheet at www.alldatasheet.com

Not the same thing!

Linear Regulator (constant voltage) Tries to output the same voltage under all loads. If the load is too high it can’t.
Linear Regulator (constant current) Tries to output the same current under all loads.
A 1amp CC supply will output 1A 0V into a short. 1A 1V into 1 ohm, 1A 2V into 2 ohms, 1A10V into 10 ohm load. There is some maximum voltage where the supply gives up supplying current.

The current mode SMPS is a very different ‘animal’. Follow MVS SARMA’s advice. If you do not understand the MC3842 data sheet ask questions.

Please be more specific.

Input voltage?

Output current?

Isolated?

edn-switch-constant-current-png.13319

**broken link removed**

You could try a Black regulator, just remove the zener or keep it there if you want to limit the open circuit voltage.
**broken link removed**
https://www.romanblack.com/smps/a04.htm

Well Im just talking In General. I just want to understand how both work, and according to my book Im reading, Current Mode Control Is Best For Boost Type Converters.

For My next Project I am going to be powering LED's (once again...) But to light up an area so I can read. I havent decided on output voltage, but I have a couple ICs in mind that Ive found already. One of the IC's uses Current Mode Control, while the others use Voltage Mode.

If I understand correctly, Voltage mode uses a voltage divider network to determine voltage, while current mode uses a sense resistor to set current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back