current of battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fahime

Hi,
how much is the max current that can be got from two 1.5volts batterries that are in series? There is no information about the Ampere on the cover of battery!

Last edited:
Fahime said:
Hi,
how much is the max current that can be got from two 1.5volts batterries that are in series? There is no information about the Ampere on the cover of battery!

You don't give any information to make any suggestions! - the voltage hasn't any bearing on it - the type and size of the batteries govern their current capabilities.

However, you should be aware that many batteries will supply more current than is good for them, and will destroy themselves if overloaded too much.

You might also mention why you're asking?, generally this isn't something there's any need to know!.

I've never seen a battery with a current rating on it. The one time I have ever seen it was once in an enormous battery datasheet form a manufacturer. Are you talking about current (Amps, A)? or capacity (amp-hours, mA-hours, Ah, mAh)? Both depend on the type of battery (some variation between manufacturers) and how fast you are drawing current from them.

Yeah, voltage has no bearing on current (or capacity). Capacity does have a bearing on maximum current though. How big are these batteries? AA? AAA? car batteries?

Well, actually I don't know which properties I must mention. The size of batteris are AA. umm, Load current is about 250mA. I was wondering if this current damages the batteries or not? Whereas the circuit will take current only a few seconds after the key is pushed and then goes to the standby mode, I'd like to calculate the battery life. But I don't know how.

That's not an unreasonable current to draw from an AA cell.

To calculate the battery life you need to look at the datasheet for the capacity and know the minimum voltage your circuit will work at.

Battery life is almost impossible to calculate - particularly when it only takes pulses of current.

250mA is fine for AA - bear in mind a torch bulb fed from AA's will take more than that!.

www.energizer.com have datasheets for all their battery cells.
Their AA alkaline cell can provide 250mA for a few hours if not too cold. The voltage keeps dropping so select how low is acceptable.

Attachments

• AA Alkaline cell.PNG
    29.9 KB · Views: 116
According to this lovely document.
https://data.energizer.com/PDFs/alkaline_appman.pdf
A single AA battery can pulse 10amps to a 10mOhm load, it doesn't specify time, but I'm asuming it's on the order of a few miliseconds.
The 'coldheat' soldering iron I have is just 4 AA's in series, when the tip touches the soldering point it shorts and a lot of battery current flows causing both the material being used to short the leads and the leads themselves to heat up. A fresh set of batteries will deliver 60watts of power for maybe 3/4's a second before the voltage drops because the battery chemistry can't keep up. I say 3/4's of a second because that's how long it takes the 'work source lamp' on the cold heat tool to go dim (drop bellow the white LED's working voltage) All it all it's a pretty impressive amount of power for such little things. Granted also I'm sure it completly wrecks the internal chemistry of a dry cell when you do this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…