Current starved inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

shico90

Hello,
I wanted to ask about current starved inverter, what is its main function and what is its circuit, I can't find any information about it on the internet, please help
Thank you

Yep 10800 hits in .33 seconds and none of them I looked at really explains much of anything as well.

From what I could get from any or its they are related to voltage controlled oscillators and/or related to phase locked loop systems.

Until today I don't recall having ever heard the term current starved inverter before.

This site has a lot on it. **broken link removed** characteristics Current starved inverter
When you figure it out could you explain it in 100 words or less? =)

It is easier to just reduce the Vdd voltage on a CMOS inverter to increase its propagation delay. This includes the gate drive which is where most of delay change occurs due to reduced Vgs and corresponding Rs_on of inverter output.

For a current sourced phase detect driver output there is a controlled current source. Problem is there is usually always a dead spot in phase response at phase lock. A small amount of bleeder current (a resistor) is usually done to keep lock state out of dead zone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…