Custom RC-car circuitry

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmagoo

Just to get this out here now, im not a pro at electronics. Ive taken 2 high school classes... and thats about it.
First my RC car runs on 49mhz frequency, and the only two ive been able to find are that and 29mhz (I think thats it). Problem being, when we try to race it end s up being only certain cars can race and only 2 at a time. To chance the frequency, would it be as simple as replacing a few resistors in the right area or is something totally different required?

Second, to get more speed out of my car I want to run the motor at a higher voltage. But as I found out with a previous car simply pluging in a bigger battery will fry the circuit (I figured as much, but it was cool for about 40 seconds ). If I hooked up a transistor to the wires coming from the chip to the motor running at normal voltage, could I use that to tell a seperate bigger battery when to turn off and on? am I heading in the right direction of thought proccess?

And just a question, if I were to increase the Mah of the battery (new battery pack) but leave the voltage the same, would the circuit still fry?

Last edited:
No increasing the MAH's of the battery won't hurt anything, but all it will do is make the car heavier and run longer. It may give it a slight increase in performance because larger capacity packs tend to have lower impedance which means they waste less power as heat, but it will be heavier which will reduce performance more.

What country are you in? Modificaton of RC car circuitry is not legal in any that I know of, but if you could tell us where you're from it'd be easier to make suggestions.

Sceadwian said:
What country are you in? Modificaton of RC car circuitry is not legal in any that I know of, but if you could tell us where you're from it'd be easier to make suggestions.

??? Sure it is. As long as you stay away from the radio part.

YOur electronics will only draw as much current as they need for a given voltage, so adding more batteries on parallel just increases capacity and not voltage so it's okay.

Adding too many in series increases voltage though (and more voltage will force more current through your electronics) which can fry it then.

Last edited:
dknguen, he specifically asked if it was okay to modify the transmitter so the frequency was different and he could use more than one car on it.. that IS the radio part.

Thank you, I was unaware of the legality issues of that area. But is the transistor for the rear wheel motor going to work? the circuit along with both the front turning motor and rear driving motor all run on 7.2v. I want to run 9.6v (mabey 10.8v) to the rear drive motor, but I have to leave current through the circuit at 7.2v. Can someone give me a more educated description on how I would go about doing this?

And With Hand held radios they have frequency but they also have little codded sub-channells. Would the same work for this? and is that feasably possible (and/or legal?)

You have a 27MHz and 49MHz toy cars. They are cheap so they only have two frequencies.

Real radio controlled models have many radio channels and many functions so many can be used at the same time. They are not expensive but they are not cheap.

Im aware of Differences between the low ends and the high ends. However the bodystyle I want is only available in the low end cars, even with all the custom body kits available. Bassically if I cant find a way to use this circutry, I am going to rip the circut board and controler, etc.. from a nice car and throw it in my cars body.

Just gut carefully, the one thing you can't do is replace structural reinforcement! No matter what kind of epoxy you have.

You might get more help if you describe the car itself. For example it's possible to mod a 1/10 scale RadioShack special to use a real ESC, but not an Xmod.

Instead of gutting the electronics can't you just use the body you have on another chassis?

what brand of car is it? I'm guessing by the description that its either microsizers (bit char-g) or zipzaps (the smaller rc cars) which would be a 1/64th scale roughly. What body style is it? Have you checked out the Kyosho Mini Z's? What scale is it? Sorry for the questions but this is one of the only topics on this forum where I actually feel like I know enough to say something.

its 1/16 scale. and if I could find a 1/16 electric with the wheels in the right spot and all that jazz id just steal the body off this. Its that Nikko Tokyo drift 67 mustang fastback (67 fastback mustang is my all time favorite car) and the only 67 mustang I could find.

Last edited:
Good luck with that, then! You could try getting a 1/18 scale micro touring car and stretch the wheelbase a little bit. I was lucky to find a radio controlled 1/12 scale 67 on clearance. I have various models of the 67 fastback from 1/64 through 1/12, vintage and new. I might have to hunt down the Nikko one.

Oh, and I've got a big one, too:
**broken link removed**

Mine is a Maisto "Pro Rodz" and comes in green or red. They also have a Charger, Diablo, and something else I forgot. I got it on clearance at Target for $40, but last I checked the eBay prices were in the $70 range. I bought it to take apart and build a detailed scale model out of it but the kids have been having fun driving it instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…