benji_styler

Im trying to find out some information on DAC's

Does anyone know where i can find resources/info about:

The number of discrete outputs (or steps) in a a 6 bit DAC

Resolution of a 6 bit DAC

1 least significant bit step

Cheers,

Ben.

The number of steps is 2^no.of bits, in the case of 6bit, 64 output levels are realised. 6bit is fairly uncommon, what exactly are you looking to do?

thanks for your response. Im currently working on some theory questions for an electronics module i took last year. My memory is a bit sketchy as i had quite a bad car accident at the beginning of the year and im suffering from memory loss. I cant remeber much of the theory that i was taught

Im under a bit of pressure to complete a series of electronics theory questions.

I have a basic understanding of DAC's and how they work but need to know:

How many discrete outputs a 6 bit DAc has?

If the full scale output of a 6 bit DAC is 7V, what is the magnitude of 1 step (1 least significant bit step)?

What is the resolution of a 6 bit DAC (1LSB/full scale output)X100%?

A music storage system is required to have a sound output resolution of 1% or less (i.e. 1% or better). What is the minimum number of bits for each memory word and the DAC to meet this requirement?

A deluxe version of the music storage system is to be marketed with an output resolution of 0.1% or better (i.e. 0.1% or less). What number of bits will the DAC require? Will sound btter than the standard version? What other DAc factor is crucial to improving sound quality?

I dont have the knowledge to answer these questions any help/direction would be much appriciated.

0.01 > 1 [bit] / 2^n [total_bits]

The n integer that solves this equation is the minimum number of bits you need. Each bit represents a step in value, and 2^n is the number of bits that represents the largest number (the full scale).

The speed of the DAC is also a factor in sound quality (it's pointless to have a few very accurate beeps and not have any of the sound in between).

A DAC with n bits can output 2^n discrete levels.

It's pretty simple for resolution. Just think, if 2^n bits is the maximum number of bits, then 2^n bits also represents my maximum measurable value of say voltage, sound, light, or whatever), then that means each bit represents
[maximum value of voltage/sound]/2^n units of voltage, sound, etc. That's your resolution. I think you have lulled yourself into thinking it is more complicated than it really is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…