Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Data logger PIC16C73A clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamog

I'm trying to build a data logging device to acquire an amplified analog voltage output from a sensory device. I came across building instructions from the internet but have problem identifying the exact PIC16C73A which have many different extensions at the end for example IO/SO. I've checked the datasheets as told by the technical staffs of the company but it all looks kinda same. Could someone help clarify my doubts? I've attached the schematics of the logger and reader device.

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• logger_schematics.jpg
    logger_schematics.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,411
  • reader_schematics.jpg
    reader_schematics.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,123
ya know that the 'C' versions are one time programable , the 'F ' versions are flash devices , and are reprogamable..

"C" version? you mean PIC16C73A... the C in bold? or issit something else? i didn't know that so thanks.

My problem is when i access the online catalogue there're the following versions of of the same PIC for example:

PIC16C73A-10/SO - IC, SM 8-BIT CMOS MCU
PIC16C73A-20I/SO - IC, SM 8-BIT CMOS MCU
PIC16C73A-04SP - IC, 8-BIT CMOS MCU
PIC16C73A-20SO - IC, SM 8-BIT CMOS MCU
PIC16C73A-10SP - IC, 8-BIT CMOS MCU
PIC16C73A-04ISP - IC, 8-BIT CMOS MCU

and a couple others all with different extensions at the back. I've checked the datasheets but they all shared the same one. How do I know which is applicable to my application and what do the extensions mean? hope someone can help clarify

Thanks guys. I've checked the site and it seems that the pins configuration for both the C and F are the same.

I guess I would be going for the DIP type as they seems to be the more common option. It's odd that the F ones are cheaper than the C though. Would have thought that the extra ability of the F ones would makes them the pricier of the 2.

Hope this works.

shamog said:
I guess I would be going for the DIP type as they seems to be the more common option. It's odd that the F ones are cheaper than the C though. Would have thought that the extra ability of the F ones would makes them the pricier of the 2.

Historically that was true, the C versions were cheaper - however, now the C versions are keep mostly for people who (for some strange reason) don't want to move to a modern device. As such they are either old stock, or small production runs, and as such the price is kept high. The obselete 16F84 is a similar example, it was replaced years ago by the more modern 16F628 - which has a higher spec - the 16F84 is still available, but costs more then the higher spec 628 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back