Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC analogue timer ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

philr

Hi i am looking for a DC analogue timer, needs to work like a plug in version with 24 hours and preferably
switches for on off at at least 30 min intervals or 15 mins would be great, this needs to work way outdoors
with no AC socket nearby,

I have seen a commercial model for my chicken coop controller, but it is way expensive although nice it
works on a single battery. http://axt-electronic.eu/GB/index.p...&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Does anyone know of such a thing or a hack for a cheap plug in timer that can be modded for dc operation.

Thanks in advance

Makes me wonder if you could hack a "digital" wall plug timer. Obviously the digital circuit and display don't work directly on 120vAC. Replace their step-down power supply with a battery and their switch (probably a TRIAC) with a MOSFET/BJT/relay.

Ken

Hi i am looking for a DC analogue timer, needs to work like a plug in version with 24 hours and preferably
switches for on off at at least 30 min intervals or 15 mins would be great, this needs to work way outdoors
with no AC socket nearby,

I have seen a commercial model for my chicken coop controller, but it is way expensive although nice it
works on a single battery. http://axt-electronic.eu/GB/index.p...&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Does anyone know of such a thing or a hack for a cheap plug in timer that can be modded for dc operation.

Thanks in advance

hi Phil.
I method I used some time ago was a 7 day clock movement [wind up type] from an old car.
If you fit a indented cam disc on the hour hand spindle it will drive a miniature microswitch.

Thanks both for ideas, i have a spare digital ac one might get a screw driver and have a poke around, also like the idea of the microswitch with an anaolgue clock or something, could drive a screw into clock face and make the hour hand live as it touches the screw to send a signal etc

How accurate does it need to be?

If it's not important, i.e. the intervals can vary by a few minutes or so, a CMOS CD4060 can be used to drive a relay or something.

It all depends on your project.

wow thanks for the idea, i will need to do some reading as i am a rank novice, getting to grips with the basics but it looks like a great way to go.

Well you asked for an analogue timer but my idea was for a digital timer so I suppose it's not suitable for you anyway.

no i was being sincere, i was looking at analogue for ease of build and because i have seen commercial ones but are very pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back