Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC/DC Converter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

I am having an argument with a coworker.

You have a 3V input voltage. You have two DC/DC converters, one step up to 5.5V and another step up to 5V.

You connect a load across 5.5V and 5V of 1 ohm. 500ma of current flows through the load from 5.5V to 5V.

When the 5V regulator sinks this 500ma, where does it go? to ground or to Vin?

Thanks!

In reality the DC to DC converter probably won't sink the current, the 5V converter will shut down and read 5.5V. This is true unless it has a load on it drawing more than 500mA of course, in which case it'll go through the load and read 5V.

Will it sink it to ground or Vin from the high voltage? Vin is two series AA batteries if it matters. Thanks,

Mark

No, your converter converts 3V to 5V so it's a boost converter and as such it doesn't sink the current at all, the output will just sit at the highest output power suply's level.

You cannot buck two AA cells down to 2.5 volts. At least not for long. A "1.5V" alkaline cell supplying a moderate current is 1.2 volts after only 10% of its life. At about 50% it's about 1.1 volts.

A NiMH or NiCD is 1.2 volts for most of its charge.

There are two question.
For boost converter, the lower (5V) DC-DC converter will open (almost no current).
For buck converter, synchronous buck converter sink it to the ground.

I think you're both missing the point. The DC-DC converters in question steps up 3V to 5V and 5.5V respectively therefore they must be boost converters which will not sink current.

Hero999 said:
I think you're both missing the point. The DC-DC converters in question steps up 3V to 5V and 5.5V respectively therefore they must be boost converters which will not sink current.

Speakerguy's situation is hypothetical. I bet in reality that both supplies would normally each have a load resistance to ground. If the 5V supply has an external load greater than 500mA, then you can add the 1 ohm resistor between 5.5 and 5V and will then reduce the current demand of the 5V supply by 500mA.

Of course in reality, I can't think of a reason that a piece of equipment would need those separate 5.5 and 5V voltages available and referenced to the same ground.

As a real example, I did personally did design a circuit in which a 12V computer fan was wired between +12V and +5V supplies inside a computer. Thus the fan ran slower on the difference voltage of 7V. It works because the normal load on the +5V line required a lot more current than the fan. It actually slightly relieves the current load of the +5V supply.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back