DC motor current issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesedward44

I was hoping someone could help me out with a problem. I have a 4.5 volt 100 ma max DC motor and wanted to use my 9 volt DC 1700 ma power supply to power it. I thought that I could use a resistor to bring the voltage from 9 down to 4.5 volts DC. I've read there might be an issue with the current and it could burn out the motor, so a current limiter is needed. When I use this motor, I'll be using it 10 seconds at a time so it won't be constantly running. Do I actually need a limiter? If I do I don't know which component values to use for my specific set up.

hi,
The easy way would be to use a 1Amp 7805 +5V Voltage regulator, I know this will give 5V, but for a 10secs burst all should be OK.

Instead of a 7805 giving 5V, You could go for the LM317 which can be configured to give 4.5V. Search the net for datasheets and examples on how to calculate passive components for a 4.5V configuration.

If you chose the elcheapo resistor method, you'll need an R = E/I = 4.5/0.1 = 4.5 ohm resistor. 4.5 is a ******* value, so use 4.7. Your wattage = P = E*I = 4.5*0.1 = 0.45 w. At least double that for a good safety margin so get a 1 watt one.
If you can't find that resistor, you can use the parallel resistance formula Rt = R1*R2/(R1 + R2) backward to come with two resistors in parallel to get your ohmage.

As collin55 stated diodes would work. Depending upon the voltage drop of the actual diodes you use, about 5 or 6 in series should give you the drop you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…