Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Motor help

Status
Not open for further replies.

versimilitude

hi there,

I'm looking for some help with a small project i'm building. My electronics knowledge is basic (but growing!) and my DC motor knowledge is non-existant so i'm hoping someone might be able to help!

I am looking to use a 12V DC Motor (perhaps this one **broken link removed**) running off a 12V supply. It only has to run in one direction and at a constant speed. It will be triggered by a potentiometer so that once it reaches a certain resistance the motor will start.

Am i being far too simplistic to think that a potential divider circuit feeding into a transistor of some form would be enough to do this? Or does it require more circuitry and protection than that?

Any help would be most grateful! Thanks!

Others who might respond have far more expertise in this area than I but here's a couple of thoughts.

A. There is likely to be some inductive spike from the motor that might damage a transistor. A diode or diodes, appropriately connected, can help to solve the problem.

B. A transistor that will handle the required current ( I did not look at the motor) may require more current from the pot than it can supply.

C. An op amp configured as a comparator - or a comparator might be a good way to accomplish the triggering - taking the load off the pot and it will be on or off - not between. The output might drive a transistor so that it's full on or off - easing the demands on the transistor heat sink. A small transistor might operate a relay that has the current handling needed. The relay can also produce inductive spikes so protection is still required.

I have some old Radio Shack books that have lots of circuits for driving small DC motors and I am sure that such simple circuits are published elsewhere. The hard work is done for you so you should not have to struggle.

Hope this gives you a start.

Last edited:
bushed DC machine with a need to spin at a fixed speed & direction with a "pot" used to turn it on/off (not for speed control)

simple solution is

Code:
battery +
    ||------------
Motor stator     Diode
    ||------------
   FET
    ||
battery -
Then drive the FET from a comparator (powered from the same 12V) with the +ve input going to a voltage-divider (with some pos-feedback) and the -ve coming from the POT

you "could" feed the POT directly to the gate of the FET but you would be dependent on the gate-threshold level AND also run the risk of sitting the FET in its active region

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back