Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dc motor selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsummers

Need help on dc motor selection for winding large coils from 10 to 20 lbs or so. My power supply can handle up to 30 volts and up to 5 amps. Im not familiar with torque and how to size the motor. Im looking at a gearhead motor on ebay with the following specs and would like to know if this would work. If not then any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

# Operates on 4 – 18 VDC
# 6 RPM at 12V
# No load current at 12V: 98mA
# Speed is proportional with voltage (Speed range is 2RPM @ 4V to 9RPM @ 18V)
# Very high torque output, shaft can’t be stopped by fingers even at just 4V

Hello fsummers,
Welcome to the forum mate, from what you describe above it does sound like it is a worm drive gearbox with a 12 volt DC motor on. This is the type you would need and usually the worm drive gearbox's have a keyed bore so you could mount it straight onto the coil winder shaft and use a torque arm to stop it spinning with the shaft. If you can put up a link to that one on ebay your post will need to be approved as your such a new member and if I see it I'll approve it straight away.

Regards Bryan

Hey this may work for you... I have a few of these, and they are STRONG ... see if this fits what you need

Powerful gearhead motor can operate from 4VDC up to 18VDC. The rated speed for these is 3RPM at 6VDC with a no load current of 75mA. At 12VDC the speed is 6RPM. Gearhead has 3 tapped holes for mounting. Brand new. G15492

6VDC 3RPM Gearhead Motor-The Electronic Goldmine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back