Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dead Pixel Finder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Rain

I was wondering if anyone knew how I might go about building a dead pixel finder. All I want it to do is give a composite video output of nothing but white. That way, with all of the pixels white, a dead (black) one should be easy to spot. I'm trying to AVOID microcontrollers and any complex circuitry. I follow the saying I was tought a while ago. KISS, which stands for Keep It Simple Stupid. :wink: Any ideas?

Rain

Without micro, the circuit is very complicated:need sync generators etc. The dead pixel(s) not only black (not working) most of case always work in red, green or blue color. So need also generating color signals. Without micro, i recommend a small color camera or a TV-game chip.

I'm assuming this is for television. Do you need NTSC or PAL (where are you)? Sebi has some good comments about color. Why do you want to find dead pixels?

maybe it's for an lcd screen? I dont see how a tv screen could get a single dead pixel? he has is location entered as the USA

You can use your computer for this, just create the colour images you want in BMP format. Switch between them in ACDSee or similar.

Ante :roll:

I know that. I would use my computer, but the point to this is small, cheap, and multipliable. Also, I don't know how they work so I don't know how, but somehow you can get a dead pixel in a CTR TV. (Is CTR a term used only for VGA monitors?) I happen to have one in one of mine.

Electric Rain said:
I know that. I would use my computer, but the point to this is small, cheap, and multipliable. Also, I don't know how they work so I don't know how, but somehow you can get a dead pixel in a CTR TV. (Is CTR a term used only for VGA monitors?) I happen to have one in one of mine.

It's CRT (Cathode Ray Tube). You can't actually get a dead 'pixel', because they don't use pixels, it's an analogue device not a digital one. But what you can get is a dead spot on the front of the tube, either a dead phosphor dot (in which case it will probably be a coloured dot), or a blocked shadow mask (in which case it will be black).

Nigel Goodwin said:
Electric Rain said:

It's CRT (Cathode Ray Tube). You can't actually get a dead 'pixel', because they don't use pixels, it's an analogue device not a digital one. But what you can get is a dead spot on the front of the tube, either a dead phosphor dot (in which case it will probably be a coloured dot), or a blocked shadow mask (in which case it will be black).

Oooh... I see. I knew they were analog devices, so I was puzzled at ho it would be possible to get a dead pixel. Thanks for the correction on CRTs too.

Rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back