decapsulating ICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiz115

Hi...

sodium hydroxide (the chemical we use to develop PCBs) is it suitable to decapsulate transistors and ICs? or i have to use sulfuric acid?

thanx!

I am not sure either is a very good choice. Presumably, you need an oxidant to degrade the "epoxy". Sodium hydroxide is definitely not that.

Sulfuric acid will char (oxidize) plastics. The more concentrated the better. Nitric acid is probably better. A chromic acid-sulfuric acid mixture (old-time chromic acid cleaning solution) is probably even better. There are lots of possibilities, but I would do a bit more research on it before starting out.

I doubt there is a simple answer, and the above possibilities should not be tried by someone who is inexperienced.

John

i want to use a chemical that is easy to find and can disolve the epoxy...

i agree it's dangerous, also the chemical we use to develop photosensitive boards is dangerous but for many people is something ordinary to use

And how to stop?

I wonder how are you going to stop the process when the epoxi is gone and the innards of the IC in question are openly exposed to those chemicals? Could you?

Here is a description from a document I had from University of Cambridge (Sergei P. Skorobogatov, Technical Report Number 630,
Computer Laboratory, UCAM-CL-TR-630, ISSN 1476-2986).

Note that nitogen dioxide and nitric acid are in the context used here equivalent (NO2 and its dimer, N2O4, are gases; HNO3 is the liquid form). Both nitric acid and sulfuric acid are readily available in the USA.

John

It depends on what the packages are made of?

If it's ceramic, i.e. glass (silicon dioxide) based then you have a problem, hydrofluoric acid can dissolve glass but I think it will also dissolve the silicon die.

looks like nitric acid with sulfuric acid is what's needed... but how is it inactivated?!

@Nigel Goodwin the exotic ones do better job they don't spoil the IC only remove the epoxy...but these chemicals can be much more toxic than these we're talking about. i have found many of them on google and i'm glad they are exotic we don't need em around.

@atferrari the same way you stop the process when you develop boards
and you don't want the chemicals to eat up all of your pcb.

@Hero999 i'm interested only on usual packages...not ceramic ones.

Last edited:
Acids can be deactivated by mixing with an alkaline solution, sodium bicarbonate or calcium carbonate (chalk) will do.

Ceramic packages are quite common but as long as you're sure it's epoxy the you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…