deceived!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get phone calls every day from telemarketers from India. They speak very poor English so fast that I can't understand what they say.
If they speak slower then maybe I could understand what they are selling.

audioguru said:
I get phone calls every day from telemarketers from India. They speak very poor English so fast that I can't understand what they say.
If they speak slower then maybe I could understand what they are selling.
Maybe you're not thinking fast enough. If you were, you'd probably have found a way to stop getting Indian phone calls every day. That solution, I would've thought, is self-evident, given you're an audio guru.

I also get long distance phone calls from American telemarketing machines with recorded voices of hill-billies or Southerners with an accent so strong that I can't understand what they are selling.

Doesn't anybody in America speak English? I think some people in Northern California speak good English.

I hope you understand that this is somewhat difficult for me to comment on, having never heard you speak. My analogy comparing your speech to electronics was for the most part meant to get you thinking objectively about your presentation skills, rather than getting personally depressed (and effectively shutting-down) over a negative experience. You can make improvements by being consciously aware of how you're speaking and presenting, and the criticism or comments you might receive.

Understand this: electronics is easy compared to speaking and getting along with people. There are less clear-cut, universal rules governing the practice of human communication than there are in electronics. It'll only take about ten years of dedicated study to become an electronics expert - communicating with people is a life-long endeavour.

There seems to be some consensus that the best way to communicate effectively with any given group of people is some form of immersion into the language and culture of the respective groups. For instance, if you wanted to speak colloquial gangsta, you'd probably want to go straight into Compton. If you found the last sentence confusing, that's because it's been written in a particular style of English, for a particular audience that will understand the reference to NWA's Straight Out of Compton. See? I'm writing in an amusing, informal fashion - partly to inform you, but also partly to amuse me, and by chance, possibly anyone else who chooses to read this.

So what kind of English (or if not English, presentation skills) do you want to learn? Something you might try if you want to immerse yourself in the world of English speakers, but can't afford to travel to England, is making Youtube videos of the things you're interested in. Narrate your videos, either live during a presentation much like the one you've just done, or in post-production when you're editing your videos. Posting videos on Youtube will elicit candid responses, some of which will come from complete idiots, some of which will come from people with your best interests at heart. Being judicious about which ones you listen to and which ones you ignore is all part of the learning process.

Whatever you do, don't give up! Keep your spirits up with the knowledge that perseverance and good judgment are invariably rewarded.

Last edited:
shankbond said:
Well, mvs I am not in a habit of writing that kind of style.

by the way what is your good name?and how old are you?

Please Right click on my name to see my profile. you get my bio-data.

thank you once again for your precious advice

When you are part of a project or research team, it's important to decide who speaks or communicates the best. Reason being is that you are basically selling your product or in your case, your project to the instructor(s). Your team is selling to the teacher(s) for the best grade possible. It's important for each team member to define each members strengths and apply them logically. As much as you might desire to present before the group, you may be far better qualified as a researcher or such in foavor of another team member who has a knack for public speaking but not for doing detailed research. In both of your cases, you can spend future efforts polishing up on your shortcomings to minimize those drawbacks.

Hank Fletcher said:
Maybe you're not thinking fast enough.

Audio Guru has to accomodate quickly spoken broken English? HeHeHe I worked with a Pakistani engineer. He was difficult to understand at the best of times. He was impossible to understand when he got excited.

Practising spoken English with other people who speak broken English does not help to improve spoken English. It creates a dialect.

Hank Fletcher said:
If you were, you'd probably have found a way to stop getting Indian phone calls every day.

And if we all hold our breath and click our ruby slippers together, spammers will stop sending spam.

@ shankbond

I had the same problem earlier.I can write very well & I can read very well than the others.But when doing a presentation in front of big people I'm getting stucked & the words wont come out.That is happening due to lack of speaking with others.

After I moved with girls & spoke with them in english all the time.All my shivering & shyness went off.

You must speak with others, reading & writing is not enough.I'm telling with my experience.

thank you for your advice ,i believe this is also kind of problem i face sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…