decent quality solder for smd work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I really like messing around with electronics. Am sick and tired of being intimidated by components that are smd. Particularly SSOP packages. SOIC, SOT23 packages aren't so bad. I don't even use a loupe on those.

So I've decided to invest time and money in it. I heard multicore is decent so I was thinking of this
https://cpc.farnell.com/multicore-solder/3096525-m/solder-60-40-hi-act-0-5mm-250g/dp/SD00958
It's not mega expensive and I think 250g should be enough for a beginner like me. I like CPC because I can drive there.

I feel stupid asking this. Can I successfully solder SSOP packages with a big tip? By big I mean it covers at least 4-6 pins of a ssop package. My problem is My soldering station is this **broken link removed**. Can you get smaller tips for this ? Although pricey it's actually quite decent.

**broken link removed**
(I don't know what you call the on ein the middle)

Last edited:
I have a similar soldering station. For prototypes, I use a flux pen, or liquid flux with a small paintbrush, and I solder with a tip-tinner.
**broken link removed**
It is possible to use a larger tip. If you bridge, you can remove the solder with solder wick.
One of these is useful too

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…