Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Decoder design problem (Newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks

Hi Friends

I am about to design a DCC decoder for locomotive(model railway). At first I thought it was going to be easy but now a little confused. This is what it has to do

Read packet (8 bit packet)
Check whether it corresponds to decoder address, if not discard packet
it should drive motor, so that loco can move back and forth and speeding up the loco. It should also do error check for packet

My initial thoughts was to have a circuit as high and low utilizing 5V and 0V and having LEDs. These will feed to a exclusive OR to test the validity of the packet. We are assuming we know the address of the decoder. We then go via shift registers. I don't know friends, help? Can one simulate this on a Labview or something? Thanks

Jacks

Ive got a set, given to me by my father (no sure what guage it is) but the tracks are only about 12mm apart (its in the attic so i cant check just now) but i always thought it was way too small to build digital control into the locomotive - but that was a few years back - will need to re-visit it - what with pics being so small these days and SMT parts being redily available.

Friends

Thanks for your responses but I think I need to build it on a bread board as a prototype to demostrate that the packet is decoded appropriately, just like the ethernet packet is decoded on a computer.

Jacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back