delay circuit (for about 100us)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sota_de_bastos

hello!

i would like to know how to make a delayer circuit to modify the phase of a squared waveform if possible.

my pulse can be modulated in a [10us-1ms] range. I'm thinking about a circuit done with opamps and capacitors, or an integrated circuit, but i cannot find an integrated with more than 100ns delay.

thank you

A resistor in series then a capacitor to ground makes a delay. It can be sensed with a comparator or with a Cmos gate or inverter with a Schmitt-trigger input.

i don't know if the circuit you mentioned is this (attached image) but if so, it's not valid because the waveform is changed depending on the Vref value. I need the waveform not to change at all, only the phase has to change. Maybe, i didn't uderstand what you mean. I follow working at it. Do you know another way to do it?

thank you v.m.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 224
but, with a serial i/o shift register i need a clock pulse, and so the clock pulse will fix the phase, so the problem stay the same. Maybe i'm not understanding what exactly you mean, or what kind of circuit you say.
Furthermore what i need is an analog circuit or an integrated circuit that allows me to regulate the phase of the pulse, if it's possible.

regards!

As you don't give a clue as to what you're trying to do, then you can't expect any accurate answers, except by pure luck!.

sota_de_bastos said:
ok,

i've got the Original Pulse and i want to get the Delayed Pulse.

That's not what you're trying to do, it's how you think it should be done.

Be more exact!.

i only need to delay the phase: i have a pulse and i need to have the same pulse but with the phase changed just like in the picture i've posted. Is there any way to do it with an analog circuit or an integrated circuit? (excuse me, all the misunderstandings are because i don't express myself very well in english)

You could do it with a couple of schmitt triggered inverters. 555's can be setup as inverters with a wide hystersis band. Use 1 555 to buffer and invert the signal. Then use a low pass filter (simple resistor and capacitor to ground) between the output of the first stage into the second one to get the delay and invert the signal again.

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/555timer.htm#buffer

Last edited:
If you are going to all the trouble to make a 555 circuit, opamps, shift registers, capacitors, et all

You really might as well use a micro! By keeping track of the last pulse time, I think you could do this with minimal hassle.

Depends on the delay resolution needed. A 20mhz AVR has a cycle time of 50ns so best case scenario you wouldn't be able to delay less than than 50ns and your resolution would be 50ns's

I know this thread is dead but I'm posting this anyway as it might be able to help others.

Another way of acheiving a delay line is to use inductors and capacitors connected up so the mimic a transmission line of suitable electrical length. This solution isn't perfect as there will be ringing on the pulses and you do need to match it to either the source of load impedance but it'll work well for most applications.

For that matter, coaxial or glass delay lines - but without being told what it's for it's all just complete guess work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…