Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Desiccator Cabinets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssylee

On the packaging of the SOIC chips (they are TMS3705ADR RFID modules btw), there is a warning saying that I should bake prior to vapor or IR soldering to reduce the chances of damage. After performing a brief google search, I have come across (**broken link removed**). The link suggests storing spare chips in a desiccator cabinet. Do I absolutely have to store those chips in those cabinets in order to avoid damage?

If this is a commercial product then I would suggest that you follow every recommendation you possibly can just to cover yourself. If this is a prototype or a home product, then I wouldn't worry about it. The concern is that the package absorbed a lot of moisture and soldering the part in a reflow oven will cause the moisture to vaporize and crack the package.

If you had 1000000 parts that all absorbed a lot of moisture and were baked in a reflow oven before drying them out, I'd be interested to know what the failure rate would be.

I just have 3 chips in stock for a prototype, so I guess storing the leftovers in the same bag while sealing it properly should be good enough?

yup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back