Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design a smart road traffic signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

John1984

I am designing a traffic light, which is used to detect vehicle from a distance, the idea is to prevent stopping at the traffic light during the off- peak time, my components are microcontroller, laser range finder and camera. i will use the laser range finder to measure the speed and distance, and the camera to detect the vehicles as well but the idea here what type of camera I should use. I will just implement the project in the lab of my uni and it should be ready to be implemented in real life, what I need only just to replace the laser range finder with another one with long distance because the one I have is just 4m which is enough for implantation in the lab, please reply me if you have any suggestions and idea.

Note: I cannot change my components because my supervisor is insisting to use them

Regards,
John

so does the laser range finder enough to achieve my target because i want to detect the vehicle and its direction and speed of it.

the idea is to prevent stopping at the traffic light during the off- peak time
Sounds dangerous :eek:. This could be achieved simply by switching the light off at off-peak times.

I would think so. You should be able to tell if the car is coming towards you or going away and at what speed. Seems like that is all you need.

the main problem for me is what if the detection happened and then the vehicle turn( changed its direction to right or left before reaching the intersection since the micro controller already changed the the traffic signal to green but no vehicle will pass through the intersection also what about if there a car parked on the road

the main problem for me is what if the detection happened and then the vehicle turn( changed its direction to right or left before reaching the intersection since the micro controller already changed the the traffic signal to green but no vehicle will pass through the intersection
You have to make the decesion to change it at some point no matter what your detection scheme, so I don't think it matters.
also what about if there a car parked on the road

You can change the light only if the car is moving towards the light. If no change in distance - no change in light.

If you are working with a camera you can have someway of testing for orange blinking, which would mean someone is turning, it won't be consistent, but will help to lower mis-haps. also, the camera will be fixed, and using 2 lanes as an example, you would be able to tell if someone is on the forward lane only, or forward and right/left turn, based on the position of the car, and can take action based on that aswell.
Yes ofcourse, why else have the laser detecting speed then lol. so you won't have to worry about stationary vehicles :)

Last edited:
actually i am not going to use a camera so do you have any idea about the best sensor that can achieve my target because the laser rangefinder is so expensive.or could someone give me a list of sensors that i can compare between them.

any idea about the best sensor
Buried inductive-loop sensors are used by many (most?) traffic control schemes. They are robust and can be sited almost any distance from the traffic light. Two loops a short distance apart can be used to detect vehicle speed.

Last edited:
Car counters (I think) just use a hollow tube tied to a pressure sensor at one end while the other end is closed. You could use one across the road in the direction you need. Time between front wheels and back wheels would give a rough estimate of speed if you even need it. If your as old as I am you can remember when gas stations had them to warn that a customer was coming.

In the UK to stop vehicles waiting needlessly at rural traffic lights they use a small radar module fixed to the top of the light stack.

This link has one mounted on the middle light.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=e...=w-ivzanKPyf6lEcMgGWwHg&cbp=12,290.28,,0,7.67

This link has one mounted on the left light. (edit: there's also one infront of the telegraph pole)
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=e...=q7YMKiJ7mVmgO1SjPXuKsg&cbp=12,340.64,,0,6.01

I suspect a Laser rangefinder will not have a wide enough beam to detect all vehicles.

Regards,
Leftfield95

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back