Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design of a Wideband Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravi

:D

Hello Friends,

I would like to build a wideband antenna covering up to 500 MHz. I need some construction details such as calculating lengths, spacing etc.

Appreciate very much if some one suggest me a suitable link or give details.

Thanks
Have a nice day!

Ravi
Colombo
Sri Lanka

Ravi, see if you can borrow the book "ARRL antenna handbook" from your library or a friendly local radio amateur.
Look there for 'log periodic' antenna designs, these can be made fairly wide band.
good luck,
Klaus

2 meters

vertical polarisation

Ravi - take a look at ARRL or RSGB websites. Some choices for 2 meters might be ground plane, 5/8 wave vertical, j-pole, colinear or simple dipole in a vertical orientation. All of these are omni-directional.

I am presuming that the 500 mHz bandwidth is an error. 2 meters is only 144 mHz.

Yagi, beam and quad are descriptors for directional antennas but as with the verticals above, bandwidth will be limited. Be careful with using a horizontal design in a vertical orientation - a metal mast can profoundly affect the antenna.

Log-periodic and discone would be words used to describe more broadbanded directional antennas.

stevez said:
I am presuming that the 500 mHz bandwidth is an error. 2 meters is only 144 mHz.

I wonder if he was wanting a dual band aerial, 2M and 70cm?.

Presumably, as he's wanting 2M, he's a licensed radio amateur?, but his original question was extremely vague, and his follow up not much better.

For example, is this a transmit aerial, or just a receive aerial?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back