Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designed for the Dump!

Status
Not open for further replies.

emc2

I just found this video and thought i'd share it. It and interesting view on electronics in our society:

Last edited by a moderator:
Designed to be, Planned Obsolescence.

In it's simplest form. Yet, the video is self explanatory.

The video sounds quite reasonable to me, however one aspect which is not addressed is the consumers obsession with having the newest latest gadget with all the latest bells and whistles, most of which are completely pointless.
Hmmm... I guess that pointless bells and whistles are all part of "designed for the dump".

My head hurts.

JimB

A few of the purported numbers and information are off though but thats typical of any enviro fluff research.
I gave the overall video a B-. :(

Informative, well done, and mostly accurate but overall it wont sway me in my present views of things.

Once again we are telling someone else, in this case the supplier, that they have to be responsible for our actions that we do with their products which means that if they take have to take responsibility for our collective laziness. That in turn will push the prices even higher and I have serious doubts that will also improve the quality of the products we get in the end.

I actively buy, collect and process tons of iron, aluminum, brass, and copper every year because the effort is worth the payment I get for the materials. If it was not I would not bother to do anything other than haul what I do get out to the dump unless they charged me for taking it at which at that point I would just bury it some place.

If you want me to recycle my electronics then set up a recycling system that makes it worth my time and effort otherwise its off to the the boiler to be burned, for useful heat from my old stuff, and whats left goes in the scrap metals bins or the ash pit.

Last edited:
This video is a classic case of WGACA - toxic waste generated by third world nations comes back as discards to be mercilessly destroyed at all costs, including personal health. I've seen documentaries clearly showing how our workplace and health laws aren't applied to other nations, practices that would be enforced here at additional cost to the producers, and how outsourcing includes health care costs imposed on other nations this way. An interesting segment of CBC Canada's Marketplace program was to collect one million CDROMs to return to AOL Canada ( mail or store promos) - don't know if it came true.

Don't blame the 3rd world. They make the toxic waste making products that the "civilized" world demands. And they end up with the crap the same people ( 1st world ) disopose of just because a newer, "better" one came along. I do like the idea of returning the products to the source and making them deal with it responsibly. If that make the product more expensive, oh well! It's just the price to pay for living in the modern world.

Last edited:
Don't blame the 3rd world. They make the toxic waste making products that the "civilized" world demands. And they end up with the crap the same people ( 1st world ) disopose of just because a newer, "better" one came along. I do like the idea of returning the products to the source and making them deal with it responsibly. If that make the product more expensive, oh well! It's just the price to pay for living in the modern world.

Interesting? I wonder what the people who first purchase a Beta would have said after they paid $1200 us for a beta machine. With that said; would that slow the I'm in the market to buy attitude? Will it conversely dispose a single thought mentality? Could it potentially drive the economy down or up.

In the end. People want what they want and are willing to pay for it.

Cost could be a factor or maybe they will pay it? A very interesting thought.

kv

Interesting? I wonder what the people who first purchase a Beta would have said after they paid $1200 us for a beta machine. With that said; would that slow the I'm in the market to buy attitude? Will it conversely dispose a single thought mentality? Could it potentially drive the economy down or up.

In the end. People want what they want and are willing to pay for it.

Cost could be a factor or maybe they will pay it? A very interesting thought.

kv

What did they say? I think it's a good idea having the cost of disposing of products factored into the cost. So, not every 12 year old on the planet will have a blackberry to text everyone he knows with??? Heck, in my day if I wanted to talk to my friends, I had to ride my bike across town. Let the little buggers get more exercise, I say :)

What did they say? I think it's a good idea having the cost of disposing of products factored into the cost. So, not every 12 year old on the planet will have a blackberry to text everyone he knows with??? Heck, in my day if I wanted to talk to my friends, I had to ride my bike across town. Let the little buggers get more exercise, I say :)

I think we are not see things clearly. I would have to say that I want to recover most of what we are throwing away and somehow separate it. Then what is not recyclable we send into a system of conversion Trigeneration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia We could be able to generate power in the correct arrangement of compatible systems working together to harness power or heat. These are some area's we have been discussing in my small collaboration "Group" the real problem comes from the idea that Industries don't want to think about the future as much as right now. To much cost and energy is lost to it. It will have to come from young upstarts with a lot of money and idea's.

Edit: What I'm really saying is turning recovery into a mega money machine. Will make people think how they can hitch their wagon to the same train.

Last edited:
Perhaps. With no expertise on the subject, I'm just gonna guess that dissasociating some of the toxic substances will take more energy than you get from it.

That's when new innovative technology's are realized and put into a cohesive system. Several developing Technology's are about to emerge. These are conditionally supporting relevant gains such as nano scale man made organizable nano bots or Bio-mechanical devices. Each capable of reproduction.

Once scaling begins and the productive size is measured to convert a known quantity of waist they can begin to convert components of toxic waist by elimination over time, we see this with enzymes that convert it into energy for their own support and reproduction.

But, we need to convert it into simpler forms of Chemicals that will aid in production or commercialization of ongoing products. Harvesting everything and returning it back into a supporting system that will eventually conclude to the production of an ongoing product. So, you have a self supporting life cycle.

Production, use and recovery.

Well, until we have your legions of toxin eating, reproducing nano machines, I'd just like to see old hazzardous products disopsed of safely.

Right, I think we should start by putting inmates addicted to drugs and non violent offenders sorting out products to be disposed of plastic metal biodegradable. Build the waist dump near the prison or prison near the waist disposal facility.

Drug offenders get treatment, while others due out their time running machines etc. maybe if they are treated and given responsibility they might consider another path.

Instead of hauling it out to sea and using the ocean as a dumping ground. It should go to biodegradable landfill and covered with a recovery pipe that fuels homes or produces electricity.

Right, I think we should start by putting inmates addicted to drugs and non violent offenders sorting out products to be disposed of plastic metal biodegradable. Build the waist dump near the prison or prison near the waist disposal facility.

yes, we can call them Society for Learning and Advanced Value Economics inmates.

but seriously, RoHS is a big deal over here. i'm naturally suspicious of course, and i lead-free solder sucks. but there is sense to actually making a toxin reduction plan.
a point was related to me recently about how much stuff is trashed without even being sold. apparently it's a LOT that companies just basically have to trash before it even makes it to market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back