Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing a overspeed alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

joza18

Hello, I would like to do it a speed alarm/limiter for my scooter, because I have a young kids.
I have Idea to mount a magnet on rear wheel, and install a some sensor or reed switch on frame, and then built a electronic who will count a wheel revolutions, and if wheel increase for example 3 revs in second, electronic will activate relay and it will turn off ignition if wheel revs are >3 rpm/s.

Please do you have any suggestion, and what do you think about this:
https://www.homemade-circuits.com/2013/05/make-this-car-over-speed-limit-warning.html

Thank you!

Any Tach uses a 1 shot circuit to generate a known fixed voltage and fixed pulse width. From edge trigger.

Then an average voltage sense or low pass filter converts to DC and a precision Comparator with a precision reference voltage to create a logic level out.

The logic level out can drive a piezo alarm to serve your purpose or drive extremely low resistance power switches.

However, since 3 pps is quite slow, the reduce ripple of the DC result by x10, the LPF must be around 0.3Hz which means some delay will occur <1 s.

Another method is a digital counter and simple clock that detects time interval < 1/3 s or for example , checks that counter has not overflowed between pulses, such as 8 bit counter at 760Hz or 256 pulses from 760Hz RC clock in CD4060 counter/clk between scooter pulses to reset counter . Overflow or output from any Qx out indicates safe speed between scooter pulses of RPM.

Of course if your pulse fails , so will your speed detector, and if there is noise, it will always fail overspeed.

A 31kHz watch crystal will give more accuracy than a cap RC and then choose appropriate output for time interval of 333ms with a latch

Last edited:
Hmm, this is maybe too much for me. Please could you tell me, wich type od sensor is best practical for this operation? And do you have a shematic with simple pulse comparator, who will give a V out when some (manualy adjusted) number of pulses is exceed.

comparators can drive a piezo alarm load from low side.from 9-14V for example.

Choose Hall Switch, not just sensor

Then use Analog timer method, which means precision one shot.
If trigger limit is > 3 pps then a 333 one shot is used.
Hall switch triggers one shot and if timer is active then trigger 2nd one shot for minimum alarm duration e.g. 1 sec.

Timer high AND Sensor pulse = trigger Alarm

Search "google images" for ideas. Using keywords HALL SWITCH, ONESHOT ,CMOS, SCHEMATIC, ALARM

Eg switch https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Honeywell Sensing & Control PDFs/SM35xLT_Nanopower_Series.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back