Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dgps, ndgps, mdgps, waas, what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justDIY

a lot of new gps receivers are throwing around all these fancy acronyms. but they don't give much insight as to how they're actually used.

a very old gps of mine, a garmin gps iii, supported differential gps, where you could buy an expensive null modem cable from garmin, and connect two gps iii together for improved accuracy.

from what I read, the new differential gps aka DGPS is different. it is now internal to the receiver, or the signal is received from separate fixed transmission stations?

mdgps seems to be a system designed for guiding large cargo vessels in coastal waters. ndgps claims to cover the entire CONUS

I've also read about WAAS, which seems somewhat similar to DGPS, but for airplanes instead of ships. Do they work together, do they work exclusive from each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back