Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Did i damaged my multimeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amadeok

Hi

So i received my first multimeter the other day and when now i found that i can't measure current with the red lead connected to the 200ma VOmA socket. I thought i probably blew the fuse so i opened it but inside i didn't find anything that looked like a fuse. The rest of the meter works fine. Is it possible that the 200ma socket was not fused and i damaged it? I also tried connecting the red lead to the 10A socket and then to the 200ma to measure the resistance in the 200ohm range and i got 00.5.
Some pictures:
thanks

In the first picture, to the right of the big disk type of thing, there is a label called "Fuse". I suspect that is your 200mA fuse, surface mounted. Hard to repair unless you have the skills and a spare fuse.
It may be possible there is a fuse on the other side, but I doubt it...

In the first picture, to the right of the big disk type of thing, there is a label called "Fuse". I suspect that is your 200mA fuse, surface mounted. Hard to repair unless you have the skills and a spare fuse.
It may be possible there is a fuse on the other side, but I doubt it...
Hi thanks for reply. in the amazon page it says : "fuse protection: F-200mA / 250V "
I coudn't find on ebay one so small though. Would it work if i connect a bigger one of the same rating with wires?

Technically, any fuse rated 200mA and 250V could be used (fast blow type), as long as it fits. That is the real issue, the size of any replacement fuse.

Hi thanks for reply. in the amazon page it says : "fuse protection: F-200mA / 250V "
I coudn't find on ebay one so small though. Would it work if i connect a bigger one of the same rating with wires?

As sagor1 mentioned, the fuse 'might' be on the other side of the board - it would be pretty silly fitting a fuse that requires a fair degree of skill to replace.

As far as I can tell from the picture (it's not 'quite' big enough or clear enough) it looks to say '000' on top of the surface mount component, which would be a zero ohm resistor. Can you check exactly what it say on top of it?.

I have to ask. Did you measure the amperage in series or parallel?

I must admit, after having used many multimeters, over a good few decades, I have in the last year or so blown the low current range fuse in a meter at work two or three times so far :(

So its fairly easily done :D

I have in the last year or so blown the low current range fuse in a meter at work two or three times so far
Don't you just have to love the old AVO-Meters with the mechanical cut-outs.
If the meter needle hit the end stop, upscale or downscale, the mechanical cut-out would pop up and isolate the meter.

Quite difficult to damage an old AVO, but I have seen it done on a few occasions.

JimB

Hi,
So i opened it again to check that small fuse but after i put it back together didn't work anymore. now it just gives 1 or 0 as values. I'm not sure what happened is it possibile that i broke it by opening it?

Chalk it down to experience and purchase a new multimeter, for your own safety.
After the first 'mishap' and having to open it to find out why it is not working as expected, then a follow-up inspection resulting in 0 or 1 on the display, do you think you could ever trust this meter again?
Would you be comfortable checking your mains voltage is not still 'live' with this meter, before carrying out any work?

Agree with Mickster - but to be clear - buy a DIFFERENT multimeter, preferably with an easy-change fuse.

Did i damaged my multimeter?

Yes, either the whole meter or just the fuse.

Hi,
So i opened it again to check that small fuse but after i put it back together didn't work anymore. now it just gives 1 or 0 as values. I'm not sure what happened is it possibile that i broke it by opening it?

Yes, it is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back