different voltage/cycle question

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmanxx2

Hello, may name is Patrick I have just joined your forum.
I am in the process of restoring a 35mm portable movie projector, and I have some questions about the voltage
The projector is US made and runs on 115v 60 cycles, however I am down in New Zealand and we have 240v 50 cycles, I know that I would need a transformer to the voltage change, but the problem I am thinking I face is the fact that the cycles are different and the projector will not run at the correct speed, if there any way to buy or construct something that would make the projector run on the correct cycles?
Thanks
Patrick
NZ

Change the gear train? It depends on what kind of motor it has, and how the motor is speed regulated. If the motor is a "universal" segmented- commutator with brushes, its speed is a function of load, windage, and voltage, not line frequency.

Hi Patrick, it is very likely that your projector will have a commuatator type series motor as Mike suggested.
That should work probably ok as most projectors can vary the speed range between 16 and 24 FPS.
The voltage should be 115 Volts otherwise you risk burning out the lamp and motor, cooling may be affected as the motor will run slower on 50 Hz.

If you are in Auckland drop me a PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…