Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differential voltage switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

albersondh

Im working on a control device for pneumatics and Im a bit lost. I need to read two pneumatic signals up to 30psig and have a simple switch actuate a relay if the output of the two pressures differentiates by more than 1psi. Ideally I need to be able to adjust the amount of differential pressure required to actuate the switch by a difference of up to about 5psi.

I found this transducer and I think it will do the reading part. Digi-Key - 287-1010-ND (Manufacturer - ASCX30AN)

As for the logic, Im lost. I just need something that can handle the output of the above sensor 0-5v (or recommend a different sensor 0-30psig) that I can adjust. This will be powered by a 12vdc battery. I can make a voltage regulator if need be, the above sensor is 5-16v input. This will switch a 12vdc relay. Thanks for any suggestions.

Do you need to take the absolute value of the difference, and then pull in a relay if the absolute value is > threshold?

Here is a circuit I think does what you need:

U1 takes the DIFFerence of P1 and P2, and adds a Ref voltage of 2.495V, created by the TL431.

U2 and U2a takes the ABSolute value of DIFF and inverts the signal.

U3 (output GT) compares ABS to a fraction of Ref, which is settable using the pot. The comparator has a bit of hysteresis to prevent chattering.

The relay is pulled-in whenever GT is high.

Follow the various signals through the plots. Opamp could be an LM324 quad.

btw- I charge my consulting clients $150 per hour....

Attachments

• AbsDiff.png
    AbsDiff.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Im working on a control device for pneumatics and Im a bit lost. I need to read two pneumatic signals up to 30psig and have a simple switch actuate a relay if the output of the two pressures differentiates by more than 1psi. Ideally I need to be able to adjust the amount of differential pressure required to actuate the switch by a difference of up to about 5psi.

I found this transducer and I think it will do the reading part. Digi-Key - 287-1010-ND (Manufacturer - ASCX30AN)

As for the logic, Im lost. I just need something that can handle the output of the above sensor 0-5v (or recommend a different sensor 0-30psig) that I can adjust. This will be powered by a 12vdc battery. I can make a voltage regulator if need be, the above sensor is 5-16v input. This will switch a 12vdc relay. Thanks for any suggestions.

Not to deter from Mikes post or work but I have a question. The gauge (pressure sensor) you linked to is a Honeywell ASCX30AN which is abn absolute gauge. It is not a PSIG but a PSIA, where the pressure is referenced to absolute or PSIG + 14.656 (Atmosphere).

I think a better choice of gauge as you want to compare the pressure in two pneumatic signals up to 30 PSIG would be a delta pressure gauge like the Honeywell ASCX15DN which has two ports and measures a Δp between the ports up to 15 PSID. That gauge also outputs .250 to 4.5 volts full scale as a function or 0 to 15 PSID. One gauge is all you need with a port going to each pressure source if I read things correctly.

Here is the data sheet for the sensor I suggest.

If the pressure remains closer than 15 PSID you could go with maybe a 0 to 5 PSID rather than the 0 to 15 PSID I suggest.

Ron

Ron, can the device you linked be "biased" so that it's output is mid-range with zero differential? It doesn't appear to specify what happens if the input port is at a lower pressure than the reference port?

Ron, can the device you linked be "biased" so that it's output is mid-range with zero differential? It doesn't appear to specify what happens if the input port is at a lower pressure than the reference port?

Hi Mike,

I thought about that after leaving work today and read the data sheet again and came away with the same conclusion you noticed. I generally work with much larger and expensive Rosemount gauges which do have the output offset like -10 to 10 Volts or 4 - 20 mA with 12 mA as the center or zero. I even looked at the unamplified versions of the Honeywell I suggested assuming maybe it was just a bridge and the output would be able to be offset but I regress on that note. I suggest the OP run with your circuit as it is a sure safe bet.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back