digítal multimeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sajesh

I recently bought a digítal multimeter DT830D, on checking current one of resisters(R 17) burned. Can i replace the resistor with another? If yes,what should be the value of the resister? Requesting your help.

Last edited:
A little search on the net and I found the schematics of M830B digital meter, which is similar to DT830D. R17 is 1.2M and is connected directly to the ICL7106 chip. It also connects to R18 2K 2W resistor. See the schematic attached.

Allen

Attachments

• m830b-schematic-diagram.gif
    52.3 KB · Views: 993
chemelec is right

BTW how does the death of R17 affect your meter? Was it still displaying numbers when you switch it on OR it just affects certain range/ranges of your meter? Can you take a close-up picture of the PCB ? I know I have one of these cheap meters but I dont know where did I chuck it.

Allen

A common mistake when checking current, is forgetting to switch the leads back to the correct sockets and then checking a voltage, which blows an internal fuse in the meter.
Is this what could have happened and chasing a 'blown resistor' is akin to a wild goose chase?

Just looking at the schematic, if R17 is "burned", then so is the 7106.
In which case the meter is scrap, drop it in the bin, buy a new one.

Oh, and be more carefull next time.

JimB

How could he possibly BURN OUT a 1.2 Meg Resistor?
It would require OVER 500 VOLTS to do that.

Same common mistake was happened. I forgot to change the socket of the lead. I am a fresher in electronics. mistakes makes the man perfect,ísn't it? Anyway thank u guys.

Same common mistake was happened. I forgot to change the socket of the lead. I am a fresher in electronics. mistakes makes the man perfect,ísn't it? Anyway thank u guys.

Yes, but that couldn't burn out that Resistor.

Latest versions of 830D DMMs, with low watt smd resistors, find signs of burning internal components. Perhaps best thing is to get access to a working similar model and find actual value of R17. These numbers might change model to model It may not be same resistor and location even thought numbered , say, R17

i would suggest Sajesh to indicate the maker and model number and year of making and if possible a crisp internal photo

I agree with mvs sarma, the schematic says 'M830B theory diagram'. So it may be just a reference for the standard model. In different models and year of production, there may be variations of the circuit addons and different PCB design. So it is likely that R17 of the OP's meter might not be the R17 in the schematic. It is best to have a clear picture of the PCB to be sure about the real situation.

Allen

Since the OP admits to having used the wrong sockets, the fault is most likely a blown current shunt (0.01Ω?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…