Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

digikey charging sales tax now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

philba

I hadn't ordered anything from digikey in about 12 months but did so the other day. They dinged me for sales tax (Washington State). It kind of surprised me as I hadn't heard of it before and none of the other places I order from do that. I didn't think digikey had a WA presence. I thought that was the basis for charging state sales tax.

they got sued by a couple different states for failing to report something or other, so as part of their settlement, they just collect sales tax now.

the states argued that although digikey is a privately held company in MN, they do commerce in all 50 states, and their sales should be subject to tax.

I haven't purchased anything from Digikey for a while so I haven't been charged sales tax by them, but I have bought some items on line and was suprized to learn I was charged sales tax. I understand some states are getting pretty aggressive about internet sales and trying to get the sales tax.
My home state(Utah) has a place on the state income tax return for inserting sales or use tax for items purchased out of state but received in state for the taxable year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back