digital/analogue pcb cad package

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
This is probably a commonly asked question.
I've been using rs's design spark software to design boards, most of my stuff is done on veroboard so I dont use it a great deal, before design spark I used a borrowed copy of easy pc which I liked.
What cost effective software would you reccomend for doing single layer boards.
Eagle seems to be popular.

The problem with Advanced Circuits software is that it ties you to their manufacturing. It won't produce Gerber files that low-cost fab houses like iTead and Seeed can use.

Eagle is a powerful package but the interface is non-intuitive! I have a tutorial course that's been presented a couple times and it's really helped people pick up the interface and produce boards. You can find the course materials here.

I also have a list of low cost fabrication sources known to make high quality boards. It's reasonably up to date. Read the comment thread for some recent untried additions.

I tried Eagle before using design spark and it was very unin-intuative. Didn't like it. I tried design spark and have stuck with it ever since. I've produced a few double sided boards wiith it and like it alot.
Eagle also limits the board size on the medium priced software to 6"x4". Design spark is unlimited..

I've been using PCBFABExpress for fabing the boards. Their reasonably priced and do a nice job..

eT

I made a pcb on eagle way back I think it was the 90's, I found it restricted then, but it did make a nice looking board, well it was at first there was many errors that required the board to be hacked as the system didnt have design rule and nets check.

I'll have a look at 4pcb, but maybe I'll stick with design spark, it would be nice if the autoroute on design spark would automatically place and route links for single sided boards.

I have used Eagle from a very early version (3.xx?). It is powerful, and there are lots of additions, such as 3D rendering and ULP's for special and/or repetitive tasks. The newer versions beginning with 6.0 are more Windows-like and intuitive for some people, particularly for the copy and paste routine.

Since I learned with the older "cut"and paste method (copy was for duplicating components on a single schematic) and had become accustomed to its advantages, I keep my current versions working like that. I consider being able to do that another advantage. A small, but fun feature of the newest versions is the ability to make tear-drop shaped pads.

Frankly, I don't understand why there are all the complaints about Eagle. It is free. You are not locked into any particular resources, and you can import 2D drawings into it. Intuitive is entirely dependent on your reference point.

John

I havent tried the latest version so I'm not in a position to make comments.

I didnt know it was free, is there a trial version or something, if so what are the restrictions.

For me...it was about how fast I could understand and use the interface to produce a maintainable schematic ,board fab documentation, and mfg output. I'm an experienced board designer and used a few pcb design tools in the past so I already had an idea of what to look for in a design tool. I struggled with Eagle and gave up after a couple of days. Design spark is free, you are not locked into specific resources, and board size is unlimited.

Sounds like the way to go.

I spose I could say I have some experience as I have had half a dozen designs manufactured in quantity, mainly audio circuits, and using dos based easy pc, but that was another life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…