Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Instrument panel project

Status
Not open for further replies.

mishu

Hello everyone,

this is my first post here, so I'll tell a little about myself (jump to the next paragraph if you're in a hurry). I'm a CS student in my 3rd year, and, after working this summer on my car (a 1990 Peugeot 205), I was thinking of giving it a cool dashboard to finish up the other changes. So I was very excited when I heard that we were going to study Systems using microprocessors/controllers. Unfortunately, the professor teaching the course doesn't share my enthusiasm, so I've decided to do it alone.

Here goes: I'd like to replace the current analog dash with an 8" widescreen LCD. While the outside look is pretty much decided, I still have no idea what to use to actually make the LCD display what I need.

I'm thinking of using a microcontroller/processor with some A/D converters, which will provide me with all the input I need (water temperature, fuel gauge, etc.) and a video controller to display the entire thing. I'm thinking of a refresh rate of about 10 samples/second to get a smooth reading, a graphics processor to support some rotations, transparency, etc... but I have no idea what chips to use.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for getting this far! :)

Hmm, it seems that topic didn't get very far indeed.

I was thinking of using a microprocessor/controller and a video controller to display all these readings (rpm, water temp., fuel level, etc.) on a LCD monitor. I 'm thinking of possibly using a separate graphics processor as well, to be able to display nicer effects, e.g. transparency.

Can anyone recommend a good starting place (maybe some chips/manufacturers/pre-made boards)? Maybe some links... :confused: It's the first time I'm doing something like this, and I don't know where to start.

Thanks!

You should perhaps talk to one of the design staff for a display manufacturer, they will be better placed to tell you what will and what won't work with their displays. The actual interface to the display itself can be done with pretty much any micro and it's supporting silicon. Primeview make nice displays for example, and I have found them very helpful in the past, but I'm not sure if they have something suitable for your needs, they will however know who has :)

Well there are LCDs with on-board controller + drivers (T6963,SED1330) that can be driven with any microcontroller, and QVGA/VGA/XGA or whatever that require an advanced controller and it's really tough to use with a microcontroller.

A vehicle display often has a temp problem. Most LCDs go temporarily black in the heat and a car in the Texas in the summer can go up to 130F or more throughout the vehicle.

Oznog:
I would really like to make the display stand out, and using an LCD gives me endless possibilities. At the disadvantage of using a separate VGA+ controller, of course.

As for the heat, for now I'll settle for a working prototype. The company tunedwolf suggested (Primeview) lists the operating temperature of some of its screens between -20 and +80 (degrees Celsius), which is more than enough for me.

I've looked into the controllers you've suggested, and I might actually use that as an early prototype (just to tune the sensor readings, etc.). Any recommendations on what display controller I should use for a 800x480 display?

Before you go to all the trouble designing an LCD into your system, my suggestion would be to operate a laptop with an LCD in your car to see how difficult they are to read in the bright daylight. My laptop is nearly impossible to read under those conditions. Also, be careful not to make your graphical dash so interesting that you pay more attention to it than you do the road. I'm sure you know what can happen then ...
JB

In searching for an OBDII reader I came across a number of systems that will interface with the vehicle control systems and display real time information on a PC or laptop. Maybe much of the work is already done for you - possibly leaving you to reconfigure the display to get the information you need.

jbeng: I will have to try to use an LCD under bright lighting conditions, but I will also have to take into consideration that it is partially shielded (it's burried in the dash if you see what I mean). Also, I only plan to display stuff that's already being displayed already, I have no intention of running movies and what not while driving :)

stevez: The thought had crossed my mind, but first I'm going to try to implement it for a 1990 Peugeot, which has no electronic engine management. I'm going to use the analog signals from the sensors, but I might adapt it to use the standardised OBDII signals in the future. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back