Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Potentiometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

atntias

Hi,
Im currnetly working on a project and I needed to use a digital resistor VIA lpt port (Basiclly I need to control variable restistor 5k throw pc in any way)

Well I am far from really kwnoing what im doing so I looked around and found this component (https://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/4789813AD5161_0.pdf)
Wich seems to be perfect for me.
I understood that if I want to contorl it Via LPT I need to use I2C wich is not that hard to program.

[Till Here BackGround And now For Problems]

Note : ^I Dont have too of mony to invest in this therefore im look for the best way to do this with lowbudget^

1. Do I Need Any External Hardware Besides The Actual Part?! (any info or referance about the hardware conecting will be usfull)
2. Are There Any Other Way To Do This("Control variable restistor 5k throw pc")?
3. Any info ideas commnet questions and il be greatfull for the help :!

In Great Thx -AtNtIas

Hello,
There are a few similar parts, DS has the DS1669 and you can find more info on using them on the Dallas-Maxim web site:**broken link removed**
Microchip has the MCP41xxx and 42xxx parts.
You shouldn't need more than a couple of resistors, I don't think, but I have used them with micros, rather than the PC ports.
Best wishes,
Robert

BeeBop said:
Hello,
There are a few similar parts, DS has the DS1669 and you can find more info on using them on the Dallas-Maxim web site:**broken link removed**
Microchip has the MCP41xxx and 42xxx parts.
You shouldn't need more than a couple of resistors, I don't think, but I have used them with micros, rather than the PC ports.
Best wishes,
Robert

If you google you will find plenty of parallel port I2C interfaces (and the software for them), a couple of resistors is the minimum you need - but it's probably sensible to add buffering as well - you don't want to kill your parallel port!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back