Diode current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarr

Hi,

I have a diode in place on my project and as the project has grown the current has increased so I was checking things and wondered if I need to replace this for a larger diode?

In my project the current can reach 1A when LEDS flash (20 of them) but these only flash for 500ms and then are off for 10 seconds, I do however sometimes flash them 3 times with a 500ms delay between them.

The diode that the main supply passes through is this one

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/03/MBR0520L.pdf

if has a IFsm of 5.5A "Non repetitive peak forward current", I am unsure what this means so cannot determine if this diode will be OK?

Anyone help?

Thx

Steve

It means it can stand a large surge for a short period of time with a huge break inbetween surges.

For example if you built a circuit consisting of the diodes arranged as a bridge rectifier, a capacitor and a small transformer, it'll be able to stand the surge when the power is turned on and capacitor initially charges.

More like a 20 times a day not 2000

Hi, Hero999

So as my title says it's more like a once per session and it's OK to have 20 sessions a day but not 2000.

I suppose whilst I'm only drawing 1A and not 5.5A I'm doing it for 500ms so it needs replacing, I would think 500ms is a long time for the diode even at a lower than spec current? would I be right in thinking this?

Thx

Steve

Diode

500ms is almost the same as a century for a diode.

It has to work somewhat faster rectifying 50 or 60Hz from the power supply tranformer. There the times are 20 respectively 16 2/3 ms.

Don't worry. A 5A diode can withstand your lousy 1A forever!

Boncuk

Boncuk said:
Don't worry. A 5A diode can withstand your lousy 1A forever!
Boncuk
The MBR0520L diode is rated for 0.5A average current.
Scarr said:
I suppose whilst I'm only drawing 1A and not 5.5A I'm doing it for 500ms so it needs replacing, I would think 500ms is a long time for the diode even at a lower than spec current? would I be right in thinking this?
Yes, I would upgrade the diode for maximum reliability. Find a diode with better than 1A capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…