Direct Gate Drive with PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
I'm revisiting making a replacement PCB for some servos. I don't normally ever try and drive a MOSFET gate directly with the pin of PIC and have always used and told people to use gate drivers. But I'm really REALLY tight for space and these transistors are so small they have a really tiny gate charge. For the rise times I want, I only need 20mA of drive current, but that's kind of hitting the limit for a PIC pin (which also has other things to do rather than just sourcing that pin).

Does anyone have any experience? I'm a bit of afraid of burning something out because a pin is sourcing/sinking too much current

dknguyen said:
Ah screw it. I think I can add on a drive BJTs for the PWM FETs.
Sounds like a safe plan. Why not use SOT-23 package transistors if you're pressed for space? If they only need to source/sink 20ma I'm sure you could find one that will work.

theinfamousbob said:
Sounds like a safe plan. Why not use SOT-23 package transistors if you're pressed for space? If they only need to source/sink 20ma I'm sure you could find one that will work.
Because I'm just that tight for space. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…