Direct to PCB Laser Printer Toner Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

helgrind

Hi,

I have searched around the net regarding modifying a laser printer (older model) for direct to PCB toner transfer. This has been done before on several inkjets with great success. However the problem with inkjets is that you have to 'bake' the ink to make it etch resistant - this is akin to having to iron on the toner, as you also have to experiment to find the best temperature and time (so no time saved really - though at least you can leave it). The advantages of a laser printer include an inbuilt fuser so the whole process is contained.

The posts I have found on various forums (best ones on a hackaday comments page) say that it could be done. The main hurdle that has been crossed is having the guts to put a sheet of metal into a laserjet. This was done with a sheet of aluminium foil - and worked brilliantly! The worry was that the charge from the corona wire would become unfocused across an area of the metal, due to it's conduction. This wasn't the case and the image printed well with good resolution. Supposedly this is the only technical hurdle. The only others being straightening out the transport mechanism, and if this requires drastic modification, fabricating trigger signals for various print process control sensors.

This is where my research ends, as I can't find anyone who has done he last step (possibly because I am blind - I do wear glasses )

I have a H Laserjet 4L - the above experiments were carried out on a 3 and a 5 if I remember. I am hopefully going to get a 4P for a fiver (UK here - so around $7.50) with two toner carts (4P has double the res ) so that leaves me with an unused 4L.

Any thoughts before I begin, and is there something I have missed???

Thanks,
Laurence

That looks like a very ambitious project.

Not to mention dangerous too with high voltage converter and laser radiation but you probably already knew that.

Sorry, I can't help you much, it's probably too advanced for me.

Well the laser radiation is all sorted and the high voltage circuits - well, I'll just have to be careful as always!

I have the full service manual so I should know which bits will tingle now!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…