Distant Node powersupply

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark

Hello Board,

I need advice on powering a distant sensor from main control box. In the main control box I have a DC/DC converter rated 12V/2Amp with isolated GND , is it correct to send this to a distant node at about 100feet .Please inform me if load regulation circuit internal to DC/DC suffers ? or it tends to be unstable because of phase shift and potential oscillations I am unsure regarding these matters and need suggestions .

Thanks in Advance
-D

Find out the resistance of the lead wire and calculate the voltage drop to your node. If the drop is tolerable, then you should be OK.

I would also place a large electrolytic bypass capacitor at the sensor end, so that if the sensor has any transient variation in current draw, the energy is stored locally. Probably the best way is use a low drop-out linear regulator near the sensor, and compensate for the regulator head-room by raising the supply voltage a bit...

Some DC supplies are provided with "sense" terminals. They are connected to wires coming back from the load end to be sure to raise the supplied voltage enough to really get 12V at the sensor. The sense wres don't carry much current and thus, do not have much voltage drop caused by current flowing through the resistance of the wires.

Apparently you do not have this kind of power supply, so this explanation is just information in case you ever need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…