Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Divide-by-n counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

rose-mary1991

1)Design a counter that counts from 0 to 23???
2)design a counter that counts as shown below:
(1)to(5)to(7)to(8)to(2)to(3)to(6)to(4)
in another way:
1-5-7-8-2-3-6-4
Note:I know that you guys are here to assist me as a teacher....but I have been trying to solve those question for over a week but the problem is that I took the lab of digital design with the course(i mean digital fundamental) so we haven't even studied it yet but those questions are wanted for this Lab... I'm in a big miss so please please help

1) Is this a binary counter? So what does the counter do when it reaches 23, stop or reset to zero? Either way you could use a 5-bit binary counter and an AND gate on the outputs to detect when the count of 23 (10111) is reached and then either stop or reset the counter.

2) For that I would write the binary code for the sequence you want and compare that to the binary code output of a 3-bit binary counter counting from zero to 7. From this determine the logic required to generate the required sequence from the binary output. You would likely want to then minimize the required logic with a Karnaugh map or some such procedure..

I would use a microcontroller for anything "odd" like the sequence required above, and not waste my time trying to put something together with discrete chips.
Look at the Chinese. They have a micro for everything, even whistle key finders. If you don't follow in their steps, you will be left behind . . . which we are. They are now the largest buyers of properties in Australia. They are the only multi-millionaires left.

I assumed for homework he needed to do it with logic devices, but certainly a micro would make it much simpler.

1) Is this a binary counter? So what does the counter do when it reaches 23, stop or reset to zero? Either way you could use a 5-bit binary counter and an AND gate on the outputs to detect when the count of 23 (10111) is reached and then either stop or reset the counter.

2) For that I would write the binary code for the sequence you want and compare that to the binary code output of a 3-bit binary counter counting from zero to 7. From this determine the logic required to generate the required sequence from the binary output. You would likely want to then minimize the required logic with a Karnaugh map or some such procedure..
Thx Alot for your help...I think i got the first one and yes its a binary counter that reaches 23 then reset but for the second soloution i didn,t understand it very well and Im trying to solve it again thx for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back